Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Overdroid (Retro Comp Entry)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 20:31 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 21:09
Hey everyone,
Since it seems popular to post a link to your retro comp entry here on this board I thought I'd do the same. This is my personal site so a ton of downloads in a short time will shut it off - if you're having problems this might be the case.

[href]
http://home.earthlink.net/~jospeh/FINALOD.zip[/href]

My machine is a 1Ghz with a GeForce 4MX (64MB) and 512 MB RAM. I didn't really get a lot of time to test it on machines with different specs so I'd be interested to see how it runs on such.

I wrote it using DBPro and the much lauded and sometimes maligned patch 4 and I will admit to losing at least a week to code rewrites (no excuses - ).

Enjoy,
Overdroid

"Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand."
- Unknown.
Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Also,
Here is a screenshot.

- Unknown.
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice, a few problems with the menu I found. With blocks blocking the text (pun not intended), and with the test half off the screen; so I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be doing, nice FX. Looks very good. Well done!
Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep,

The block problem happens only extremely rarely when the camera hits just the right angle. I didn't discover it until after I'd submitted the game the final time. I never saw a problem with the text half off the screen. If you get a chance and are feeling generous with your time could you email me a screenshot?

If you do have a problem reading the text just keep hitting enter. The screen is randomly positioned each time so you should scroll back around to one you can read.

Thanks for taking a look,
Overdroid.

- Unknown.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 11:04
nice game, though the thing that annoyed (the only thing) was the mouse sensitivity. it would be much more fun if the sensitivity was about 2 to 4 times more.

--------
http://www.stellarblue.vze.com/
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Did you get my email??
Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Kfoong - Thanks for your comments! The new version I'm working on (1.1) will have an options screen with a mouse sensitivity slider since I've heard that suggestion from some one else.

Kamakase - I did get your email - Thanks! I actually responded to it with another email but I guess you didn't get it. I have no idea what's causing these issues on your machine, I'm completely at a loss since none of the other testing I've done (which I'll admit was only on two or three different configs) has had this problem. The strange thing is I think the only thing that could cause this problem is a math error, which shouldn't be happening on a different system. Maybe your download was corrupted. I would be interested to see if a new DL has the same issue.

- Unknown.
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
I got the email just after I posted...whoops. I re-downloaded and...same problem.
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 21:30
its ok, but sumtimes its impossible to comlete a level. I cot one big lot o connected blox and i coudnt get them all blue. also definitly needs more mouse sensitivity. By the time ive aimed the bug
has already hit me

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 03:03 Edited at: 17th Apr 2003 03:08
I'm creating an options screen with the ability to change mouse sensitivity. Also I've resolved the camera angle screen issue. I'll hopefully post a new version with these fixes later tonight.

I can also tell you that it is NEVER impossible to complete a level because of unsolvable block puzzles. And I'll stand by that statement. This is the single aspect of the game that went through the most intensive playtesting. You might think that some of the puzzles are unsolvable, but the fact is the puzzle making algorithm (although clumsy) can come up with some diabolical challenges. There were many times when I thought an unsolvable puzzle had been created, only to realize that I was wrong. Keep in mind that some of the blocks (blocks with a bright red circuit pattern over their faces) can only be toggled by shooting adjacent connected blocks. In other words, a direct blast from the surge gun won't have any effect.

I've personally played through up to level 56 on the current difficulty set up.

- Unknown.
Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
The new version (1.1)is now downloadable from the link above. None of the file names have changed.

You can now alter the mouse sensitivity and invert the mouse by hitting the escape key. Menus should all be visible (and more colorful).

- Unknown.
Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated again.

Version 1.2 has a completely redone puzzle algorithm. The puzzles now start off very simple and become more complex as you progress. This solves the problem of difficult puzzles sometimes appearing too soon.
In the later levels the puzzles can become extremely difficult.

Now fans of my game (probably just me) can enjoy the new version

- Unknown.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:23:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:23:07