Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics] Wheely big problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:41
Like what ive done with the title?

The problem is illustrated in the image below. I now have the proper model which will be used in the game, but it seems the wheels are rotating on the wrong pivot, and the front wheels instead of rotating on the y axis, they are rotating on their z axis when turning left and right. What could be the problem? I know DTsine had the same problem, but with the angle the wheels rotated at, but i have changed nothing from the old model i was using.

Is it something wrong with the model? I have it in .max format, and i am unaware of any settings i need to do in 3DS Max to make them face the right way for example.

Can anyone shed any light?

Heres the image:

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:51
A few things that may help:

* check the centre point of each wheel, if it is not the centre of the wheel then they aren't going to spin correctly

* the wheel spin is handled by rotating the wheels on the X axis

* the wheel turn is handled by rotating the wheels on the Y axis

* it's possible the scale is interfering, ideally ensure your model is the correct size before exporting it

* the wheels should stay in the hierachy and so their position is odd in the screenshot, the only way they are altered is the rotation on the X and Y axis, again might be related to the centre point

Can you provide a download link for your model? If you prefer not to then send it over to me and I'll take a look when I can. It will be helpful to see the model and how it is laid out.
Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 22:02
I have just emailed you with the model, thanks
Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 23:43
I've just fixed the pivot problem on the wheels, for some reason, during the export the pivot wasn't perfect. Now its just trying to fix the turn rotating off the front wheels.
Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 01:16
This is really winding me up now! I've pinned it down now to the wheels being the problem. In 3DS Max, the models fine, export it and thats when the problems begin (The tyres x, y, and z seem to get flipped, so the y is facing north etc). I can't seem to change it around at all. Any ideas?
Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 21:40
Problem fixed. I was exporting the model out with animation frames, instead of exporting with no frames. Although the object didn't have any animation with it, it was causing each limbs axis to flip around.

So tip for anyone having problems in 3DS Max, using Panda .x exporter, if your model doesn't have any animation, make sure you select export with no frames. Panda automatically sets it to export with frames.

Thanks for your help Mike, and excellant work on Dark Physics, probably my best buy this year!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:36:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:36:04