Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Multi-core processing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 01:32
Just an idea for DarkPHYSICS. While PhysX isn't massively wide spread right now, duel core processors are becoming more standard as they drop in price, and start to replace the older unicore processors. It is my understanding the DarkBASIC does not make use of multi-core technology. Would it not be a good idea to allow DarkPHYSICS to use what is effectively an entirely unused processor core for dedicated Physics Processing functions? That way the processing power would be put to greater efficiancy rather than having the CPU have to manage and direct normal processing thus generating larger overheads.

I lay upon my bed one bright clear night, and gazed upon the distant stars far above, then I thought... where the hell is my roof?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 10:18
Dark Physics will take advantage of dual core processors; the physics simulation calculations run in their own thread, separate from the application thread.
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 02:38
Umm... DP is definately sounding more promising.

I lay upon my bed one bright clear night, and gazed upon the distant stars far above, then I thought... where the hell is my roof?
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 23:02
Quote: "Dark Physics will take advantage of dual core processors; the physics simulation calculations run in their own thread, separate from the application thread."

Sorry Mike, but i can't see any evidence of this! (See screen capture of task manager while DBPro program using Dark Physics was running - attached.)
If ageia physics was using another processor it should have said something like:

JW physics test 01.exe CPU=48
Ageia.exe (or whatever it should be) CPU=49 (for example)

or
JW physics test 01.exe CPU=96

eg: DBPro running on one thread and the Ageia driver running on another (DBPro using both)- but this doesn't appear to happen.

BLACKMESA:SOURCE - mod for HL2 - Texture Artist
BIRTHSTAR:FRONTLINE - Texture & Environment Artist

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 23:32
I don't have a dual core cpu so I'm unable to see this in action. However, there are a few people who have confirmed DP utilising dual core very well.

By default you wont see any benefit unless you move away from the standard one call to phy update each frame. Check out the Information\Advanced\Asynchronous Timing section of the documentation for information on how to use multi threading. You may also like to try the Asynchronous demo program included.
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 00:41
Ok - I'll have a look at that.

Cheers Mike.

bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
I think lee mentioned something about this in the newsletter this month with "phy update 0" and "phy update 1"
[i][/i]

Ink all over the screen...and dang it! Signature still does not show.
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 11:28
This works great now - if you have sync rate at 0 - it runs almost too fast!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 22:11:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 22:11:06