Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Kinematic objects don't react with static rigid bodies?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 01:54 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 03:52
Is this supposed to be like this or is it a bug? The kinematic object just falls straight through static meshes and terrains.

If its a bug I can post an example. I am not sure if they are only supposed to interact with dynamic bodies. I read in a thread you are supposed to use them with dark ai, but if you can't make them collide with the scenery then it doesn't work too well

edit:

They also seem to through objects around as if they were nothing, with a mass of 5, the kinematic object shouldn't beable to kick the crap out of something with 50k mass
imekon
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this the tunneling effect that continuous collision detection is intended to solve but for some reason, doesn't?

"Reality Bites"
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 10:15
Here's a few drawbacks of kinematic actors at this time:

If a dynamic actor is squished between a kinematic and a static or between two kinematics, then it will have no choice but to get pressed into one of them. In future versions, it may be possible to have the kinematic motion blocked in this case.

Kinematic actors will collide with true dynamic actors but not with static actors. This may also change in the future.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:09
I was afraid of that answer It works ok with raycasting though so I'll use that.

Cheers
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 22:01 Edited at: 1st Sep 2006 22:02
I have just rescued my code from this kinematic problem, I was/are now using character controllers but I got a bit pissed off with them so I thought f**k it I'm gonna use kinematic objects instead and just do some extra code but after I had spent a good hour replacing all the code in my project I realised that they don't collide with statics, and had to replace it all

EDIT: I believe that the character controllers have been updated for raycasting, in the patch.

I know the voices aren't real, but they have good ideas!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 00:34
I mean't using raycasting to manually calculate collision with static objects . It is really annoying having to do a load of complicated work arounds. I was thinking character controllers and kinematic objects would make it a breeze.

But character controllers are beyond useless, making simple tasks more complex then they need to be, and kinematic objects don't react with anything other than dynamic objects, and BADLY too since they seem to excert an unlimited amount of force.

I've scrapped the idea of using dark physics for now. Over complicated character controllers, kinematic objects that move masses equal to planets and no way to pin a body upwards so it doesn't tip over just means it doesn't suit my needs. I got no method to control a character other than a 1st person player, which personally I don't want or need.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 00:44
if the displacement command for character controllers where you can pass in x,y,z values was working, or I could figure out how it is supposed to be used then that would make life a lot easier.

I know the voices aren't real, but they have good ideas!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:28:55