Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Character Controller + flying fragments problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 07:45 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 07:46
I've got a problem with my character controller. Whever fragments are flying out of the wall and collide with the bottom of the controller, he starts walking on top of the fragments. I have a video to demonstrate.

http://www.cashcurtis.com/videos/darkphysics.wmv
]

I could just be missing something simple here. I'd sure appreciate any ideas.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 10:05
One option right now is to temporarily remove fragments when they are close by to the character controller.

I can quickly add in a new command so you can set the group of the character controller. This will be useful so that you can set the group of the fragments and disable collision between them and the controller.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 11:24 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 12:21
Blah. More workarounds

I'll just remove them if they are near the base of the controller for now. This will quickly bog down the engine, as I'll have to do distance checks between every fragment between every character controller. For 100 fragments that's 1000 distance checks per loop for 10 characters.

Totally disabling collisions between the two seems counterproductive to the addition of the physics. I like how they bounce off of the characters. Is it possible that one group could collide with another group, but not vice verse? That is, fragments could bounce off of a controller, but the controller couldn't react to the fragment group?

I've already dropped Dark Physics particles, I just don't want to exclude any more functionality unless I absolutely have to. The particle effects in that video were not possible with the current Dark Physics command set.

Come see the WIP!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 13:49
Bound to be lots of things like this where someone does something and we find that extra control is required. In a lot of cases like this it may be easy to solve and making a few changes to DP and providing a new release to help you in your projects is not a problem. I think releasing smaller updates with minimal changes on a more regular basis is going to be preferable to everyone.

I think it can be done so that the fragments will collide with the character controller but it wont react. Again a command is required for this. We just need some additions to the character controller command set so that this fine tuning can take place.

As far as the particle system goes - I have some ideas on how we can improve this and do all kinds of neat things. Going to have to work through other things first though like additions to character controller and other areas.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 14:58
I really appreciate it I look forward to all of the improvements, and I definitely agree that changes to the character controller are the most important. Particles can definitely wait, I just want to be sure you guys are aware of the issues.

Thanks!

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:43:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:43:37