Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone know how to make cloth into a sphear? I am trying to make a balloon out of cloth (unless there is a better option) that can pop when hitting a sharp object.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 13:43
Hmm i havent installed DP yet but shouldnt it be possible to make a plain object and make that the cloth and add an sphere and make it invisible, then you make them both able to collide with each other. place the plain above the sphere. make a bucket under the plain and sphere and attach edges of the plain on the bucket and you got yourself an air ballon. and if you delete the sphere the cloth will loose the "air" ?

You never fail, only make mistakes.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 14:21
and instantly flop on the ground.

I don't think it's possible, air is something physics engines have yet to consider.

DP's cloth is amazing, if your after amazing wall hangings, carpets, curtains, toilet paper - it's easily my favourite aspect - but it can only really act like a cloth matrix, bending and breaking but it's not perfect cloth, just a really nice implimentation of an effect.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 14:31
Personally I'd remove the balloon object when it pops and replace it with cloth debris that fall to the ground. With a nice pop sound and a touch of particles, it could have a very nice effect.

All you have to do is make an effect convincing. It never has to be a direct representation of the real thing.

Come see the WIP!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 15:11
I attempted a parachute with PHY MAKE CLOTH FROM OBJECT, but this command currently has "issues".

AVC
Years of Service
User Offline
What kind of issues?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 07:10
Quote: "What kind of issues?"

It doesn't even work here (command not recognised).

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 10:49
Quote: "Quote: "What kind of issues?"

It doesn't even work here (command not recognised)."

It didn't work properly, which is why it's not a recognised command at the moment. IIRC, making a cloth from object didn't build the cloth, but trying to build the cloth after making it from an object, it said it didn't exist. Catch 22!

bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 23:38 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 23:40
actualy i think sloopers idea is quite possible but once you remove the sphere have particles inside it and hide the object thhat refernecs the particles(make sure there y velocity is positive) the particles will interact with the cloth causing it to billow acting like a hot air ballons hot air system.

just a thought.

now an after thought....by adjusting the particles velocity you effect the balloons ascent(sp?)/descent(sp?)

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 11:32
make a sphere and drape the cloth over it, that would make a decent ballon

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 19:26
It wouldn't look like a balloon. A balloon isn't made of cloth, it's hard and stretched. All it does is pop. I think that using cloth to make a balloon would be a pointless exercise in frustration.

Come see the WIP!
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 19:43
haha, good point cash. a balloon is tightly stretched, so whats the point of using cloth?

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 20:07
Hotair balloon perhaps?

I lay upon my bed one bright clear night, and gazed upon the distant stars far above, then I thought... where the hell is my roof?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 20:43
I was also thinking hot air balloon, hence my earlier reference to my parachute attempt.

It would be a good demo, but I don't think it's going to happen...yet.

AVC
Years of Service
User Offline
With AGEIA's rocket you can create a balloon using cloth and give it preasure. By making it tearable, it will pop when you apply to much preasure. I just haven't been able to figure out how to do this in Dark Physics.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 03:17
I was thinking hot air balloon as well, an olde fashioned one

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 06:37
or a parachute

Take heed, never take advantage of the things you need, never let your self be overcome by greed. Walk a strigh line, pick up your speed and try. Everyone deserves a piece of the pie By: Shaggy
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
For an old fashined ballon you might try placing a particle emited within the parachute and use it to offset the gravity applied to the balloon / parachute.

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
ESP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 12:26
Hi AVC/All,

While looking through the AGEIA videos on you-tube, there is one with a red cow-like balloon. Have a look

Robin
VRMan3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 12:37
Yeah using the Ageia sdk you can add pressure to a closed cloth shape (like the red inflated cow example that comes with the SDK). You can present your case to them and they might give you access to the sdk downloads including the rocket app, and the other cloth samples.
But it seems DarkPhysics is a very simple implementaion of the Ageia sdk. Lots of things are missing like the ability to inflate cloth you mentioned. I hope they plan on fleshing out DarkPhysics and fixing some of the bugs.

Mr. Davey, do you plan on regularly expanding the command set of DarkPhysics to mirror the latest Ageia sdks? That would be great if you would. Their newest release allows you to make 'dentable' objects - they give the theoretical example of a physics car that when you run it into a telephone pole, the front end smashes in, affecting the driving physics. This is also demonstrated in the same example that the red inflated cloth cow shows up in (the last selection - red oil drums that you can pummel with spheres and put dents in them.)

-=VR=-

World Famous 3D Screensavers
-- http://www.vrman3d.com --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 02:12:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 02:12:37