Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / September Level Design Contest Results/Play the Levels.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 14:29
OK, the day is finally here. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all the contestants for your participation. We had quite a good turn-out this month. Winners may list their choices of a prize here (to see the list, go here). All decisions are final; it looks like the bar was raised again this month.

I'd like to thanks all the judges for donating their time, as well as all the prize sponsors.

Great work people.

1st Place: Benjamin

2nd Place: Divian

3rd Place: Filya

Runners Up:

Prince

Higgins

Opposing Force

Zaibatsu

Zecharia

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 15:26
congrats guys! I'm gonna get mine finished before the deadline next time

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah congrats guys well done i check out these games later.

Taken fpsc to its limits
TJR Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 06:43
I am good a makin' any other shooting games, but not horror! If u are makin' another contest like this one but not a horror related one, please let me know through e-mail. Thanks.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 23:21
Sorry to bring up this old post.... but could you perhaps bring all of the entries of the level competitions (or perhaps at least the 3 winning ones of each competition) together into one sticky, that people can check out as examples? There's some gret stuff in each of the competitions that give people a good idea of what all can be done with FPSC and how they could learn to think outside of the box.

I'm still wondering why TGC has never used any of the levels as promotional stuff to showcase FPSC, but that's a different matter.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 04:02
Quote: "Sorry to bring up this old post"

i forgive you. this time...

but it seems to me this could have been solved with a new suggestion thread.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, delusions of morality"

"Once again you've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!"
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 22:37
Why waste a whole thread on it when it can be asked here just as easily? This forum is so cluttered already, at times it's better to add to an old thread, then start a whole new one, keeps things more tidy

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 00:37
Quote: "I'm still wondering why TGC has never used any of the levels as promotional stuff to showcase FPSC"

I don't know either.
If you had a chance to play the first contest's entries (and I hope for your sake you only played Higgins' entry if you did) we had three entries...the one by Higgins,a really awful one and some guy entered an .fpm file that we couldn't play because,of course,we didn't have all of the media for it.
The last contest's entries were all fun and most of them could have been developed into full length,fun games (including yours).
Unless we can find someone responsible enough to run the competition,though,this is the last one.
It's too bad...I figured more people would be interested in something like this.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 01:04
Quote: "Unless we can find someone responsible enough to run the competition,though,this is the last one"

Not to question your experience here, but why is it hard to run the competition? I know for a fact many of us appreciate this chance a lot, and would hate to see this close down

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 01:29
It's just extra work that I no longer have time for. You've got to coordinate quite a bit of people and prizes. With the lack of any response from TGC, I threw in the towel.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 01:41
And then when the contest is over you have to make sure everything gets to everybody and stuff like that.
I would still be doing it but I had to quit for the same reasons Keith did.
We're looking for volunteers...hint,hint.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 02:54
Sorry to hear about this guys
This contest was a great way to try and push yourself and learn so much. I can honestly say that if it were not for these contests, I might not have learnt making so much stuff on my own.

Keith, Fred, why don't you start a new thread asking for volunteers? That way, the interested could raise their hands, and also, you would make sure not any & every one becomes in charge

To be honest, I wouldn't mind trying to help, but I don't now how far I would go

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 03:55
if someone could tell me everything that had to be done, i would do it.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, delusions of morality"

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 06:56 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 10:51
1. Decide on a theme for the next competition (or find the winner of the last one and ask him to decide)
2. Prepare the guidelines for the theme and start a new thread for it along with the dead line for the contest
3. Watch over the thread all the time to answer any and every question that crops up.
4. While the competition is running try and search for people who would like to donate prizes.
5. Also try and get good mature volunteers for judging the competition (and make sure they aren't taking part )
6. Find a host where people can upload their levels securely (without anyone able to spy or steal someone else's entry)
7. Remind people of the deadline a week or so in advance.
8. After the deadline, don't accept any more entries.
9. Send the links for the entries to the judges along with prepared guidelines for scoring. Make sure the guidelines cover all the aspects fairly.
10. Try and get the judges to send their scores as soon as possible (without hurrying them too much)
11. Total up the points for each entry and sort out the order.
12. Update the thread with the winners.
13. Make a new thread with the links to all the participating entries and the winner list.
14. Try and help the winners get in touch with the prize donators.
15. Ask the winner to decide on the next theme. Also, whether he wants to be judge next time or participate.

Keith, Fred...did I miss anything?

Now I know why you don't want to do all this every month

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 14:39 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 14:44
That pretty much covers it. My criteria sheet for the judges is point based, per category. I found that to work well. That means that someone with no custom art, can make up for it with good level design and funfactor (for example).

The time it takes to lay out both the "Start Contest" thread, and the "Winners" thread (in the manner I do); is significant as well. I always try to make the layout of the thread as easy to navigate as possible (make it look clean).

-Keith

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 16:21
i might be able to do that. would anyone like me to try?

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 15:01 Edited at: 4th Feb 2007 16:01
Congratulations guys. It's a shame I missed the thread every time!

Will keep a keen eye next time. Look forward to playing the levels

Mod note:Swearing has been edited out of your post.Please don't do it again.

Your signature has been erased by a mod. How about that?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:40:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:40:49