Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics]How do I make ragdolls stand

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 17:48
The title pretty much says it: What commands could I use to make it stand like a normal person?
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 20:35
phy inyourdreams

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 21:03
Depends what you want to do - if you want someone walking along who turns into a ragdoll when shot - then you'd just use an animated version of the ragdoll model and then swap to a ragdoll model. But it might look like cr$p unless you copy the limb positions onto the ragdoll. then ragdoll it. Never done it so this is just a guess.

(I haven't been able to get a real ragdoll working so far - can't work out how to attach the rigid bodies to the mesh- because theres no help docs...)

BLACKMESA:SOURCE - mod for HL2 - Texture Artist
BIRTHSTAR:FRONTLINE - Texture & Environment Artist
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 04:30
@Chrisk: Whats the point of ragdolls if you can't do it?

I've never done anything with ragdolls before and was just wondering how to go about it.

@Redmotion: I was just thinking that too but I think I'll look
for some better ideas first.

Is there a way to add friction on a joint?
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
If the ragdoll did stand it would be a normal character. Is not the purpose of a ragdoll something to be dropped or thown and it should react to the object it hits according to the laws of physics?

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 05:38
The retail has an example on how to do this, unfortunately for anyone using the trial (like myself) this is something we have to figure out on our own.

What you need to do is create your object with bones. Remember that bones in DBP are just limbs of the objects, so what I'd do would be to create distance joints connected to the bones.
Then the rigid bodies *should* update based on the bone animations, once you need it to ragdoll... say a character is just about to be shot and killed (do a distance & health check) then simply solve the physics for it.

Theoretically it should then process the ragdoll correctly.
I honestly wish that they added a skeleton system to DBP for animation purposes, rather than having it part of the objects. Would allow for some much easier animation abilities as well as it would provide them with a way of adding ragdoll for darkphysics without the need for hard-coding.

Intel Pentium-D 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR2 433, Ati Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB PCI-E, Windows Vista RC1 / XP Professional SP2
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 05:42
I was wondering if it would be possible to make it a ragdoll with
something like muscles so you could like have it brsh against a wall and its shoulder would move out of the way.
that would be totally cool but I might be dreaming too big here.

How do you use them codger?
bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 06:20 Edited at: 10th Oct 2006 06:22
there is nothing that says you could not do stuff like that CTF that would be easier then the ragdoll...you could make the torso have a spring style joint so that the upper torso can twist and return back if it brushes something...would be cool to see your character turn sideways to squeeze into a secret passage that lead to a bigger room without having to press a special torso key

or better yet get shot in shoulder and have them bounce back into position. As you accidently spray the room with messy minigun fire

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 14:53
Games are all about illusions. Most would solve getting shot or something such as squeezing through a passage (as in Splinter Cell) with animation. Using physics is a bit overkill in these areas.

When designing a game, you must always consider what's the simplest and most effective solution, because the "most realistic" solution will usually be, if not impossible, then at least a hundred times more awkward than an illusion that mimics the very same solution.

If you look at most modern games, all you see are illusions anyway.
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 02:46
Quote: "you could make the torso have a spring style joint so that the upper torso can twist and return back if it brushes something"

Any idea what command to use to make a joint springy?
bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
depends on the joint type it is in the properties of the joints in the .chm file

phy set sphere joint twist spring ID, target#, spring#
phy set sphere joint swint spring ID, target#, spring#
phy set sphere joint spring ID, target#, spring#

phy set revolute joint spring ID, target#, spring#

phy set distance joint spring ID, target#, spring#, damper#

those are the only type of joints that have spring properties. Hope that helps.

CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 04:43 Edited at: 13th Oct 2006 05:22
Sorry I found those commands just after I posted

here's the code I've been messing with but I can get "phy set sphere joint spring ID, target#, spring#" to do much

what should I set the target value to?

Edit:
Here's An improved version it stands!! (kind of)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:36:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:36:26