Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / OG November Maze Level/Comp.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 18:05 Edited at: 13th Nov 2006 21:10
O.G. November Maze Competition: The Cube (REVISED)

**OK, the level has now been replaced and is ready to download; please visit the same link, and thanks for your patience.**

OK, we've got another Maze Level Competition going this month at Ozark Games. Same as last month; you've got to be a member to win the goods, but not to play the level itself. This month I've tossed in a few of the crates and barriers from the OG WWII Pack for you to check out.

I'll ask again that you do not discuss specifics about the level at all here. As before, I will post a "play-by-play" when it's all over. Thanks for checking it out.

Easy Version of November's Level now available.

There is now an Easy version of this month's level. In this version, the clue word (to the Riddle) has been [b]removed. The key to the Secret Room has been removed as well (so no chance to win the WWII Pack instantly). You have 3 lives with which to complete the level. The elevator has been replaced with a staircase.

To get the download of the Easy version, go here. Scroll down to the bottom of the first post.

-Keith

OG November Maze Level

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 19:03
I'm in thanks

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 21:39
Sounds good, Alan; we'll see you over there.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 21:44
Sorry to double post, but the game dose not work with me

Runtime Error 7008 - Object dose not exist at line 16902!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 22:18
I'll have to wait to see if that happens to anyone else. Ahh, sometimes I really wish FPSCreator was a person; you know, someone I could throw through a window.

Have you tried it again, or tried re-downloading it?

-Keith

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 22:27
Hold on I will now...

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 22:39
It still dosent work

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 23:14
I have a question Keith, can you explain to me the rules, how to win,
and everything about this competition, like what i have to do

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 23:24
oh god, not another one of these.

jk, im downloading now.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 00:37
Sure Bloodeath; just click on the link and it will take you right there (where everything's explained).

@Alan; you may be out of luck (unless you've got another computer to try it on). If, however, everyone else has the same problem; I may have to make a quick replacement (don't really want to do that though). Sorry about the problems; I may have to switch to using 3DWStudio and Torque for future mazes if these types of bugs aren't taken care of.

-Keith

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 06:25
Keith, I got the same error!

The unpacker does its work, but the error occurs about halfway through the build process of FPSC.

Hope to be seeing an updated puzzle. They sure are fun

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 12:57
Dang it; it worked fine on my computer when I packed it up. I have no idea what would cause that; but I did spend a significant amount of time on it. That particular bug is extremely irritating, I really wish it would get taken care of. There doesn't seem to be any clear rules as to what causes it. I have no way of testing it for change, as it works fine on my end. As far as layout, I didn't do anything extremely different from last time. I used a few items from the OG WWII Pack in this one; that's about the only difference.

This is really frustrating; is everybody else getting the same error?

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 17:45
How I play the level, when has it error.

SIXOFT - This is not just a game, this is a SIXOFT game.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 19:20
Quote: "How I play the level, when has it error"

While standing on one hand, and clicking the mouse with your big toe.

I've confirmed the bug on my wife's computer; although it still plays fine on mine (even right off of the same .zip file that was uploaded). I'm going to try to do a few things to make it work, but at least I have a way to test it now. Pretty frustrating.

-Keith

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 19:30
ha ha ....take care not to mess up anything with her computer. You dont want to buy her a new one do you?

and yea, sorry for the mess. I can understand how frustrating it must be.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 19:36
Maybe I should make something simple, like a cube for a room with no doors or windows...or entitys.....or signs......or lights. I wonder if FPSC could handle that?

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 00:11
ha ha nice one keith! Even that might give the "object already exists and line blah blah" error So watch out

Keith, how long (in approximate hours) do you spend making these maze levels? Just wondering.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 01:16
I don't even plan them out on paper; I just build them as I go. The last level was probably about 2 hours of work. This one was a bit longer.

It looks like I'm going to have to make one from scratch. I removed ALL entities from the level and rebuilt it...it still had the same error.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 02:38
wow, that really sucks.

maybe you hould make it into a december contest, lol.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 04:09
Nah, I'm making a replacement level right now; should be done tonight. It just irks me to spend that much time on something, and have it work fine on my computer, only to have the usual bug(s) pop up when it's crunch time. But, what's done is done now.

The new level won't be quite as long, but the Riddle portion will be a bit harder than it was going to be, to compensate.

-Keith

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 04:43
Looking foward to it!

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 06:39
Quote: "the Riddle portion will be a bit harder than it was going to be, to compensate"

lol Keith!! Give that 'harder' riddle to TGC, not us After all, they made you do the hard work twice

Quote: "The last level was probably about 2 hours of work"

2 hours for such a nice level? Wow! You must be very efficient at it you know. I am sure I couldnt make a copy of your level in 2 hours even if I had the blueprints in front of me

Quote: "I removed ALL entities from the level and rebuilt it...it still had the same error"

This point of yours brings me to a good thought :
What if in one of these game competitions this occurs? I could easily test my game on a few friend's computers and still manage to get the errors on the computer of one of the judges. What then??

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 06:47
The only thing I can think of, is that somehow the level was able to access some files on my computer that wasn't on anyone elses...except that I was playing from an installer. It's very odd.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 07:18
OK, I'm trying one more thing. Apparently if you have something in your library (entity), but do not physically use it in the level, then the "object does not exist..." bug occurs. I found one such entity (a smaller girder than the one in the picture above), and I placed it in an obscure location. I'm now rebuilding the level again (real slow lightmapper), and will test it out. If it works, I'll reupload it this weekend. If it doesn't then I've already started the new one, and it will also be up this weekend.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 21:44
Alrighty; I had to make a brand new level after all. It is now finished, and will be uploaded on Sunday. I'll change the screenshot up above, and put in a messege about the update, so you'll know it's ready. Thanks for everyone's patience, I know I've lost mine.

-Keith

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 23:06
Dang!! Sorry for the lost level Keith. I would have lost my patience too, so you are just human

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 23:41
I'll try to see if I can recover it for the December Level.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 03:10
So are you gonna upload another? Or hold off till december?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 05:20
Yep, it's getting uploaded tomorrow (as long as I can get to a high speed area).

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 05:58
Good Luck!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 01:50
The new level is uploaded at the same link; thanks for everyone's patience on this.

-Keith

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 02:11
I will play as soon as I can get on my windows. Thanks Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 02:59
OK Alan; good luck with it.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 03:34
nice level.

But i was hoping that it would be a maze/puzzle thing, instead it was just a level of timing jumps.

I didn't even get the 3rd key after dying exactly 35 times.

Like i said nice level, it's just not my thing, i think im gonna wait until december.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 05:29
Wow; you died 35 times? That's dedication. The original level was quite the maze/puzzle thing; unfortunately, a certain bug hasn't been taken care of yet. I spent about an hour on this one; had to get something out.

Didn't want to look for the clue word?

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 06:30
I hate you Keith. lol this is IMPOSSIBLE to win!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 06:34
Not impossible if you learn to control your jumps (sometimes using the shift key for jumping farther). If you hit the edges of a platfrom and begin to slip, you can recover.....

Hammer69
Years of Service
User Offline
Keith I have a question. When I build a game it turns into a set of folders and an executable. This is packed - the way it unpacks and then runs is a lot more professional than folders and executables - I like it and want to know how you did it

Second is the first loser!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 19:58
Thanks for checking it out, Hammer. The utility I (and many others) use, is FPSPack (by Rastaman. You can find it here. It has many functions which I do not use (due to time constraints), but it can do much more for the packaging of your game than I have shown.

I hope you enter the comp. as well.

-Keith

zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
way too hard you made the jumps imosable

Your signature was too big
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 23:15
Not impossible. I've ran the entire course myself, several times with one life. You've just got to control your jumps, and stay on the pillars.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 23:39
I'm going to start working on December's maze now; and I'm going to save my progress in different files as I go this time. This next one will be more maze than puzzle (less jumping).

-Keith

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 23:49
I went up through the elevator, but keep falling down someplace up there. And then I have to start all over again

You should have given 3-5 lives and given a checkpoint after the elevator. Else, it gets too tiresome to keep doing the same things again mechanically only to find yourself fall down.

zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
well i gave up i suck at jumping

zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
im workin on my new game jail break right now il let you see the first pic keath when the first pic is ready

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 01:35
@Filya: The reason I only gave one life (other than that the level is very short) is because when I placed a checkpoint marker at the top of the elevator; everytime I died (before reaching the elevator at all), I ended up at the checkpoint marker...even though I hadn't crossed the actual checkpoint yet (or even gotten on the elevator). Otherwise, if you passed the ride up the elevator and then died; there would be no elevator at the bottom for you to ride up. If I had it to do over, however, I might have incorporated a long staircase instead.

Let's also not forget, that this is a competition for actual prizes; and as such, there has to be a challenge to it. What would be the point if you could easily jump through a 2 minute level? If that was the case, then I may as well just put up the Riddle. I understand that it is a bit nerve-racking to jump through the obstacles, only to fall towards the very end.

One of the reasons I gave multiple lives in the last Maze Level, was because of the INSANE amount of loading time there was (around 2.5 minutes, I believe). The loading time for this level is only 20 seconds (depending on your computer).

I promise though, that next month there will be much less jumping around, and more puzzel/maze elements....that's assuming FPSC doesn't foul up the .exe with its unpredictability. This time though, I plan on saving in stages.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 02:14
Incidently, the jumping in this level is far less, and a good deal easier than October's Level.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 02:39
okay, I managed to jump all the voids in the upper level. But am stuck at last door. I think I didnt get the key for it. (one of the tables upstairs was empty, was it supposed to be?)

and yea, I think I got all signs tho (lol..liked the one upstairs )

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 03:12
Nope, the table in the Room (that you have to jump the break in the walkway to get to) upstairs does have a key on it (I just checked it; it sits a little bit to the rear of the table.

Actually you all have given me a good idea for an alternate version of each maze level.....

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 03:19
lol lol lol. You know, I have been a complete fool. Seriously

1. I didnt read your other puzzle part in the post. And I have been carrying the ammo case with me all the time (since the past 3-4 days!) thinking I might need it someplace to open something. I actually did all the jumps upstairs with the ammo case in my hands. lol.
I did PM you the number right now, but I think I may be late

2. When I didnt find the key to the last door, I actually tried jumping down (where I see the 2 doors behind the wall). I did that almost 3-4 times trying not to die (hugging the wall etc)
And all this time, the key was right on the table?? rofl

Going out now. Will try it again tonight.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 17:08:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 17:08:39