Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Breaking joints manually ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 20:37 Edited at: 9th Nov 2006 20:37
If we create a joint with a break limit (phy set joints break limits), is it possible to break the joint manually ? I mean can we apply a force (phy add rigid body force, set linear velocity...) to destroy the joint instead of using another object ?

In fact, I want to break a joint to destroy a structure but I don't need any object to collide with this structure? Is it possible ?

Thanks

Coding is dangerous for health ...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 21:24
how about PHY DELETE JOINT? That will allow the rigid bodies to break away.

bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
...and if the bodies are stacked in a way where even with the joint still absent it remains standing yes you can add a force to it to make it crumble.

UDun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 22:50
Thanks.

Yes, of course we can delete the joint but in this case, setting a break limit is useless. I want to use a force which, according to its strength, will break or not the joint

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 23:28
You can still set a break limit for circumstances when it gets hit/sheared/pulled, and still delete it manually in other scenarios.

Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 23:51 Edited at: 10th Nov 2006 00:25
I would like to point to the fact that sometimes you need to make something else happen when a joint is broken. (Like if you break a lamp burn the light bulb and emit sparks). For this I would use the 'phy get joint broken ' command, but apparently this command doesn´t exist and I am forced to work around...

Hallowed are the ori.
UDun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 11:54
But do you know a command which will simulate the force applied by an object hitting the joint (velocity, force, torque..) in order to break or no it according to its limit ? It's what I really try to find : breaking a joint manually without any objects.

@Alfred, when the joint is broken, it's like if the joint is deleted, isnt'it ? I'm not really sure...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 12:21
I think people are confusing PhysX joints with real-world, Physical joints.

If you want to simulate a real-world joint, then you need an additional object to represent it. This in turn will be connected to the rigid bodies by PhysX joints. Now, you can apply a force to the additional object, and it's PhysX joints will be affected.

In real life, you don't attach a door to the door frame and expect it to swing. You attach the door to a hinge, and the hinge to the doorframe. You have 3 objects, not 2. Now, you can hit the hinge with a hammer and this can be emulated in the same way.

UDun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 21:41
Yes, I totally agree with you. In fact, I didn't explain my question correctly. I don't really want to know how to break the joint directly, it's not real as you say.

Your example with the door-hinge-doorframe is what I want. But instead of using a hammer (=another rigid body), I want to use a command (add force, set velocity...?) to simulate it. The hammer will produce a force and the joint will be broken... so what is this force applied by the engine to destroy the joint ?

For example, connect two rigid bodies with a fixed joint which has a break limit... then try to add a force or to move a box (with commands) to force the joint to be broken... My question is here : the PhyX joint is not affected

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 23:52
If you have the following setup:

Door Frame -> Hinge -> Door

Then in DP you would have

Door Frame (Static) <-> Physx fixed Joint <-> Hinge part 1 <-> Physx Revolute Joint <-> Hinge Part 2 <-> Physx Fixed Joint <-> Door

The 2 fixed joints, or the revolute joint, or all 3 will have a break limit. Now you can, for example, phy set rigid body linear momentum on one part of the hinge to shear it.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 05:33
The easiest method is to just set the joint break limits to 0,0 for both linear and angular, then they will instantly break. I do this in my project, shame you cannot see if a joint has been broken...

Hallowed are the ori.
Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 00:21
Quote: "Alfred, when the joint is broken, it's like if the joint is deleted, isnt'it ? I'm not really sure..."

According to my tests: no, it´s just broken. However, it still exists, but if you try to modify any parameters the program aborts saying that you can´t modify broken joints. I put here a request for the 'phy get joint broken ' command.

Hallowed are the ori.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:27:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:27:20