Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Using PPU = Major memory leak!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 08:12
Just when I thought things coulden't get any worse, I was trying my game with lots of prop numbers and the like, and noticed that after a while my games preformaced dipped from my vsync rate of 75fps to 6-7 fps, now as first I assumed this was due to my coding, however after remming out hundreds of lines of code, the problem was still apparent, so I looked at the memory usage while my app was running, and it starts with 160megs of usage, which is fine due to the ammount of objects I have, then it soon starts to creep up around 100kb a second, then after around 30 secs, it suddenly jumps to 250megs usage in the span of 1 sec, and my game starts running at 6-7 fps, not this memory leak isn't due to my previously posted deleting objects issue, as in my main loop I never delete any physics objects,

So just as a small test I decided to disable hardware acceleration, and guess what? 127meg idle all the time!, So now, it seems that running in software mode is actually faster if you have a game that spans longer than a few bricks falling down.

While I don't have any source code handy, as I'm not going to upload my project, basically all my test has is 500 physics bodies, all using box collision, in an asyncronus loop(I tried both types),and I show/hide objects which are out of view.

And while I'm here, the phy sleep/wake up rigid body, commands don't allways work, sometimes I get an actor is negative error or something, yet clearly the values I'm passing to the commands are allways above 0 and the objects exist, which is why I've had to load up all my props beforehand, and this is how I discovered this bug,

And I can bet this won't get fixed within 17hrs(compo deadline) so enjoy the 7fps when you play it.

Hallowed are the ori.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 09:22
I haven't come across this problem in any tests with the ppu. I will try recreating it.
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 21:26
im having the same problem. this sucks
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 05:35
I'm not really sure what the cause is, I tried to replicate it in a small demo but coulden't get the problem, and it's only apparent in my game when I use lots of objects, the solution I'm using is to just have smaller levels.

Hallowed are the ori.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 08:12 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 08:19
There are so many problems. Fluids are no good for use in a real game. And, I can't use a cloth that is bigger than 11x11. My characters are around 60-70 units tall, so that's essentially a square foot of cloth which is pretty useless. The problem is that the resolution cannot be modified. In the original cloth and particles pack you could specify the X and Z split.

Now this memory leak with lots of objects. Big games will likely run better in software mode then hardware.

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 16:07:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 16:07:43