Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Educational Dark Basic Game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 21:27
Hiya,
For my final year degree project I was given the task to design an educational computer game for children 11 years+, I've decided to write it in Dark Basic! So if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful!
Thanx Rose
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 22:56
I wrote a mathmatical game for a local junior school - it featured two ducks sitting on a bath - get one right and one duck moves towards the other...

It was originally written on a C64 in BASIC - dont have the source code any more, I'm afraid.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
go ask some 11 year olds what interests them, and find out what core subjects they are doing. Buy 3 educational games for the 11+, see what the interface is like, and how the information is put across, perhaps put some 11 year olds infront of the products and do a bit of Market Research.

or

Do what I did and drink lots

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 23:17
Dont forget that most people like playing games with as much violence and sex as possible...

...oh yes...

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 15:50
I'd love to see the look on my lecturers face if I handed in a sex and violence game instead of an educational game! But thanx for the idea about the ducks. Can you believe I still have my C64! awwww the memories!
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
bah amiga 1200 all the way . Whats that you got 16 colours on your pc aw I got 1048

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 17:31
I sold my C64 - had 3 of them (one I gave to the local school - along with my game), and the other two (C64C) were sold privately. I then had a A600, which I sold when CBM went bust. After that I has an Acorn A3010 (followed by a RiscPC), which I sold when Acorn stopped making computers.

The C64 and Acorn were my favorite - Acorn's basic was very nice and very fast too. The assembler on both was very easy to use, although with the Acorn machine (due to it being a RISC computer), you had to make sure most data was aligned to a 4 byte boundary.

Rob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 18:29
Check out www.riverdeep.com
They make educational software in flash, you might get a few ideas from the site
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 22:01
Eduicational Software hummmm,

Would somming called Dr. Dynamite interest Kids in science?

I am sure you can find many explosive chemical reactions and many other non explosive ones.

2D animation in a 3D lab would work great.

You could also touch on the written equations, balencing equations and recations to do at home.

Science is a good way to go as there are too many Math games out there, you never know if you make it good enough it could be a best seller

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 01:55
No.

J/K

Something math related probably, they are too old for spelling and such. Sorry I can't be of much help...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:19:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:19:27