Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] DarkFaction II (Images)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:23 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 00:25
It seems FPSC is going to grow into what I want it to be. I'm going to stick with it since I think we're just at the tip of the iceberg. Hopefuly TGC will continue to make it better and better.

So, I'm going to make DarkFaction II in FPSC. I have all the model packs now and plenty of ideas. Here's some screenies from some initial tests.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:25 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 00:26
Looking good... nice stuff

I agree FPSC is getting better and better

'Dawn of the Fallen Angel' coming soon(ish)...
masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:38
Man Darkfact you never stop amazing me. FPSC is the ultimate game making tool glad you stuck with it. Beat the first one...finally.

FPSC ROCKS!!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 01:09
Strange, not that it's not cool that you're going to give it a new try, but I do find it strange you're going to start on DF2 while none of the FPSC issues you mentioned when 'dumping' DF1 have been resolved.

Anyway good luck with it, I do hope that this time the game turns out as you want it to be!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Man Darkfact you never stop amazing me. FPSC is the ultimate game making tool glad you stuck with it. Beat the first one...finally."

Thanks man! I plan on DFII to really out-do DF.

Quote: "Strange, not that it's not cool that you're going to give it a new try, but I do find it strange you're going to start on DF2 while none of the FPSC issues you mentioned when 'dumping' DF1 have been resolved.

Anyway good luck with it, I do hope that this time the game turns out as you want it to be!"

I agree that's strange, but If I go back to "fix" DarkFaction now, my creativity (I fear) will be affected. I'm excited about getting DFII underway, so I want to strike while the iron's hot.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 01:38
Looks great! Hopefully you'll be able to market this one

masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 03:00
Quote: "Looks great! Hopefully you'll be able to market this one "

I agree with Airslide it will be awsome if you could sell this game. I would buy it!!!

FPSC ROCKS!!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 03:04
I also like the level design in this one, lots more objects to populate it

masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 03:21
I agree. cant wait to play it.

FPSC ROCKS!!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thanks for all the early support guys! Here's a couple images from level one.

I'm making it with mostly dynamic lights and full lightmaps for the few static lights. I'm having some issues already with lag, but that's mainly due to the fact that I haven't reset the doors and windows from physics-on to physics-off. Shouldn't this be OFF by default TGC??

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 04:12
Looking excellent! Does turning 'physics off' for doors and windows really help that much?

masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 04:13
Looks awsome man!!!

FPSC ROCKS!!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looking excellent! Does turning 'physics off' for doors and windows really help that much?
"

Well, according to the manual, all objects with physics ON make calculations that the processor has to deal with. If I'm wrong on this, please let me know because it's a pain in the backside to turn them all off for every window, door and badguy that doesn't need it ON.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 04:29
Just edit the mesh Shadow, it lets you make it part of the level and in turn run faster.

@DF - I guess your right, no need to set them up with physics. I imagine that it's only once you get like 15 or more doors in your level that you get a noticable slowdown - but every bit helps

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 04:30 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 04:31
Quote: "loving your level design bro!! and i have a question about DF1, when you made your dead guy entitys did you use a biped to do that our just edited the mesh, because i cant get my dewad Master chief to work"

Hey dude, thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, I rigged the "dead guy" characters with a biped so I could position the mesh how I wanted it. Then I converted the mesh to editable mesh to hold the pose, deleted the biped and exported it using Panda's .x exporter for 3ds Max. Then I set it up as any other entity in FPSC.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 06:17 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 09:15
EDIT: Level1b
Test Level:

If you guys get a chance.

Thanks - Dave

http://www.fpscgames.com/games/DFII/DFII-Level1-test2.exe

Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 06:55 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 06:56
Looks great man.
Whats the dif betwen dynamic and static lights? Just for the light2.fpi? Is there an advantage for dynamic lights?

-Inverted

Edit: Your first post reminds of farcry a little bit, on the carrier at the very beginning of the game .

-Inverted

Opposites are different, not wrong
Wilsypie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 08:08
It took some time but finally i compleated Dark Faction I Nice work! keep it up
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 09:30
You might save yourself sometime by open the door and window FPEs and changing the line
physics=1
to
physics=0

It might seem like a long process, but it'll save you time in the long-run!

Level design is looking nice. If you are experiencing lag, its probably down to:

1) all those dynamic lights, most guides advice 2 or 3 per level!
2) That level design. It's very nice, but there are too many doors and windows, leaving the render distance open. I'd add corridoors perpendicular to the doors as opposed to straight on.

Nice work though dude, I never got around to playing darkfaction, but this looks to be pretty cool.

butters

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 21:30 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 21:49
I've changed all the dynamic lights to static and removed 50% of the doors and windows. The level now runs at around 29FPS consistantly. Thanks for the advice guys!

As you may be able to tell from the images in this thread, the dynamic lights mixed with some static lights provide a much more realistic environment. But, there's no doubt that you have to really cut down on dynamics to get a higher FPS rate.

masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 23:59
Downloading the test game. Everything looks like its coming along great.

FPSC ROCKS!!
masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 01:06 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 04:30
Demos awsome. When I went back to where the first key was i went to I went by the toilet and I fell through the ground. Other than that it looks great.

FPSC ROCKS!!
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 02:59
Incredible man, awesome improvement from DF 1.
Some of the best screenies i'v seen.

Keep up the top standard work,
-Inverted

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just tried it and it didnt work. Could you show me step by step though My model is already in Edit mesh. "

It's okay if you model is an Editable Mesh. As long as you can get the biped within the mesh. Hopefully, the mesh is still in the T-Pose or DaVinci Pose to make placing the biped easier.

Once the biped is placed, you need to use the Physique modifier to "attach" the mesh to the skeleton. You'll have to adjust the Physique envelopes so the mesh sticks to the skeleton correctly at the vertex level. After you adjust the envelopes, go to Physique Vertex mode and tidy up any vertices that aren't assigned correctly to a bone in the biped.

Once this is done, you can position the biped in the pose you want. When it's the way you want it, collapse the mesh stack (back to editable mesh) and simply delete the biped. Export as usual.

Shadow Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 19:48
Wow nice work downloading test level. Thanks I was looking for a way to try out the model pack 5 weapons.

Shadow Fire Games - Master the game -
masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 00:25
Everything looks way better with model pack 5.

FPSC ROCKS!!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "OMG i am getting very upset with this, this problem is making me sooo made, i just want to make a dead guy and when i add him in the editor he looks like he sould but when i test game he looks like he did right after i finished modeling him!!! Help please email me at teamhalo2444@yahoo.com thanks"

When you export the file, make sure the texture map is correctly referenced in 3ds max, that you save the map to the proper directory AND that the map name is correct in the FPE for the model. This should fix your issue.

Are you using the original .dds image file, .tga or .jpg?

Yes, www.fpscgames.com is mine, but I've not updated it in a while. I have 7 other sites that are taking more work to keep productive. I will make an effort to get that site more active once people show an interest in it. Thanks man.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 19:43
very nice work DarkFact, it was already a great game, and now its looking even more superb, the model pack 5 weapons fit in nicely with the industrial environment

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "very nice work DarkFact, it was already a great game, and now its looking even more superb, the model pack 5 weapons fit in nicely with the industrial environment"

Thanks! And I agree. This new model pack is awesome.

masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 23:55
DANG love the new screen shots!!!

FPSC ROCKS!!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 07:32 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 08:58
Quote: "DANG love the new screen shots!!!"

Thanks man! Here's some more. I've decided that using dynamic windows and doors is a no-go when it comes to speed. So, I'm making some changes. The door, door frame and walls in these images are all made in 3ds Max and exported as an entity.

This isn't from a level in the game, just a test level. I'll post from the game level later.

This is a static character posed and exported. Shadow, did you get it worked out?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 09:00 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 15:13
Here's some images from the actual game level with the new wall/door entities in place. Funny thing...the level takes 5 minutes to load, but the FPS is always around 30fps. I guess the trade-off is in the universe.dbo.

NEW: Test level1b 88MB

http://www.fpscgames.com/games/DFII/DFII-Level1-test2.exe

Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 18:08
WOW!

Really impressive, ill have to make some windows like that , i love um
If you rebuild the level with only segments/entites your gonna use it will speed up the load time

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 18:57 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 19:05
Quote: "Really impressive, ill have to make some windows like that , i love um
If you rebuild the level with only segments/entites your gonna use it will speed up the load time"

Thanks Inverted. I've seen your work and I love your decals. Did you make them all from scratch? I also intend to heavily populate this game with debris, trash, graffiti, etc.

I'm not sure why this level is taking so long to load. My guess was that with entity walls with doors pre-cut into them would take less time to load since the engine doesn't have to perform the cuts.

I'm going to drive on with this current philosophy anyway since the FPS rates are high considering the number of polygons in the scene.

BTW, I'd like to you join us at www.max-realms.com
We can really use members with your talents and enthusiasm. Maybe we could even collaborate on our projects for cutscenes and the like.

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it. You mean to rebuild the level from scratch if I decide not to use entities or segments because they load whether they're used or not. Good point, didn't think of that.

Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 20:07 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 20:09
Hey darkfact,
The decals were created from various forum members aswell as me.
I would love to join you, ill do it later, im sick and had to stay home from school today.

Yeah if you rebuild the level with only the stuff you need in it it will speed up the load times,

-inverted

Edit: Do you own www.max-realms.com, tell me a bit about it, getting in contact with you threw the website and such

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:00 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 21:01
Quote: "Yeah if you rebuild the level with only the stuff you need in it it will speed up the load times,

-inverted

Edit: Do you own www.max-realms.com, tell me a bit about it, getting in contact with you threw the website and such"

That's great advice. I didn't realize that was part of the loading. Duh!

Yes, I own MaxRealms. Just sign up and send me a PM when you want to contact me. Or you can email me using the link below these posts.

I've been making some overlays today. Here's some samples.

iGd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:20 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 21:20
Wow very impressive

keep it up

-----------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------- Coming 2008 ------------------------
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:28
Okay ill sign up to max-realms,

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:28
I spy with my little eye...

...the police car from dark matter, am i right?

AE

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Very impressive... as usual... Keep up the good work...

Project FPS - 71%
masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:57
Downloading the demo, love the new screenies

Keep it up man. (I'm a fan of Darkfaction i loved it so i know im going to love Darkfaction 2 even more)

FPSC ROCKS!!
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:38 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 01:39
Nice new pics!
get a MSN messenger account, darkfact.
Iv been working on my drawing and i could do some concept pics for you and such.

Get back to me.

very impressive work,
-Inverted

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 07:19 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 08:23
Quote: "the police car from dark matter, am i right?"

Yep.

Quote: "Very impressive... as usual... Keep up the good work"

Thanks, bdgbdg! I appreciate it a lot.

Quote: "@ Darkfact, no i didnt get it to work, when ever i trie it it always looks like it worked in the entity mode but when i test game it doesnt work it looks like it was with out movmening the bibed and its realling strating to piss me off seing your sceenies and how good hey look because i cant do that"

Send me a screenshot and I'll see what you need to do to fix it. K?

Quote: "Nice new pics!
get a MSN messenger account, darkfact.
Iv been working on my drawing and i could do some concept pics for you and such.

Get back to me."

I'll email ya. I can't get on MSN without a few hundred people talking at once because of MaxRealms.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I really really appreciate it.

Working on overlays and texturing directly to the wall entities...

Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 16:03
Nice work dude,
I understand... Email me at admin@inverted-entertainment.com

-inv

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 16:46
Really good work. One of the best FPSC games (at least demos) that I've played. I don't have the time to give you full review but I have to say, keep it up.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nice work dude,
I understand... Email me at admin@inverted-entertainment.com"

Sure thing. I'll do it this weekend.

Quote: "Really good work. One of the best FPSC games (at least demos) that I've played. I don't have the time to give you full review but I have to say, keep it up."

Thanks!! I hope not to disappoint you.

I'm "going all out" with custom entities for decorating the scenes. I have one issue with the trash bags in this image. The texture is a simple .jpg taken from google images, but apparently the 100% pure black is causing holes to appear as if it was an alpha channel. Anyone know how to defeat this? I suppose I could bring down the RGB values of the image so there's no pure black. What do you guys think?

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 01:02
Quote: "I suppose I could bring down the RGB values of the image so there's no pure black. What do you guys think?"

yep, just increase the brightness by 1 or something small.

p.s. loving that magazine on the floor

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yep, just increase the brightness by 1 or something small.

p.s. loving that magazine on the floor"

Thanks Jon, I fixed it by doing a simple color balance correction. It's brown now, but I think it looks even better now. Yeah, the magazine was my wife's idea. I like it too.

Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 01:51
Looking really sweet man!
We could exchange entites/decals maybe.
( I have model pack 4 now )

Good luck and keep it up man!

-inverted

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looking really sweet man!
We could exchange entites/decals maybe.
( I have model pack 4 now )

Good luck and keep it up man!"

We'll talk dude. I'll email ya tomrrow.

Here's a wmv video of this test level. 4.5MB
I'm going to use commercial music this time and make or buy whatever I need to be a pro as possible.

http://www.fpscgames.com/movies/df2-level1-test3.wmv

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:10:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:10:09