Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Bug with Point Object and Move Object.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, having just been supporting DBPro in the current flamebait thread, its unfortunate that another Bug has raised its bug-eyed head.
The following piece of code should move the object 10 units in the Z plain, instead it moves it 100 units. If you don`t use 'Point Object' it moves correctly.
Could someone run this and confirm its not just my system?

Krash
Years of Service
User Offline
I just tried the code and it does the same thing to me. seems like for some reason it is multiplying the point XYZ coordinates and the move distance. It happens no matter where you point it and for each coord. Beats me how to fix it without using big bad math...

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an arm...
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 07:46
is this a bug then with the extra long number found in the end location of object one?.

http://www.lunarpixel.com/ is my new site
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
It has to be doesn`t it?
No matter what direction the object is pointing in, if you move it 45 it should not be more than 45 away from its start point.

Significantly here I get a Y pos of 900 which is 20 (the move amount) * 45 (the distance to the point its pointing at).

So it looks as though the distance from the object to the pointed at point is being used as a step, or multiplier, for the move command. Although this does have potential uses as a feature its not much use when your expecting an object to move a specific distance, also its not compatible with the DB v1 equivalent (which I know works as I expect it too as I came across this while upgrading my game to DBPro).
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, just checked something, the above assumption, that the point distance is being used as a multiplier, only works if the object starts at 0,0,0. If its anywhere else you get completely different numbers as in the following code:-

Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 13:26
Try pointing it at 0,20,0 with the above code and look at where it ends up. I think the point object command still ends up being a multiplier when you position it differently.

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Zed
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I think they forgot to normalize the forward facing vector.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 19:01
This was fixed in Patch 2 Beta 4 and I've tested your code to double-check this and it's fine. Basically what I'm saying is that Patch 2 will fix this when released.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
Good, I`ve hit lots of bugs with DBPro but this was the first one I was unable to find a work around for.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 13:05:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 13:05:36