Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / How to simulate car suspension?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I'm using DBPRO since a few days. I was very interested creating a car with true suspensions effect (wheels should not get a rigid link with the vehicle body).

But I don't know how can I do it. Can you help me?

Furthermore, is there any way to get detailed info about crash (collision) strenght, force, direction, etc...?

Thank you!

--Alessandro
ESP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 16:45
Hi ale870,

looks like you were suckered into buying a beta product as well. There are a lot of messages about vehicles, but it seems that TGC only implemented a small amount of Ageias API. It seems we all have to wait for another update. Personally I am looking at the Leadwerks engine for my current project. It is possible to get some stuff working in DBPro/DP, but if one digs deeper, you will find so much stuff missing

Robin
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 18:42
ESP, you can search for engines all day. At DBPs price, you'll find them similar in levels of capability. Usually less.

DP is a great product. It is the best rigid body simulator I've seen. We're using million dollar technology in indie games. People are as likely to get DP to work for them as they are DBP, but unfortunately I see more people complain than produce anything.

@ale870 -
There are so many things that you can do. It depends on the needs of your game. I would say that anything is possible, if you approach the problem correctly.

Honestly, with suspension, I think that an animated body overlaid onto a DP car frame would be the best. This would allow you to simulate suspension based on the physics reactions very realistically, without placing additional demand on the system and not interfering with the operation of the wheels.

As far as crash information, you have every bit of information supplied to you about the car's velocity and direction of travel supplied to you. You have to interpret this information for yourself and create your own car crashes. Check out my Dark Physics Compo entry and you'll see some really nice car crashes in action.

Come see the WIP!
ale870
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your replay and suggestions.

@Cash Curtis II

Please, can you help me to better understand your concepts:

Quote: "I think that an animated body overlaid onto a DP car frame would be the best. This would allow you to simulate suspension based on the physics reactions very realistically"

How? Do I need to prepare fixed frames (in anim) to simulate suspension movements, then apply such frames based on user acceleration/brakes/left/right?

Quote: "Check out my Dark Physics Compo entry"

Please, can you clarify me? What is Compo entry?

Thank you again for your help!

--Alessandro
ale870
Years of Service
User Offline
Any help for me?

--Alessandro
ale870
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE:

I was using the debugger to check physic structure, and I noticed the suspension effect (car body going up and down) is running! The car body really goes up and down (based on the surface).

The problem is the visible body (car object) does not follow the physic geometry! Infact the visible car body remains attached to the wheels.

How can I do to let the visible car body follow the physic geometry?

--Alessandro
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 21:43
Hey, I'll comment again on this later. Don't lose hope. By the way, did you play my game? It's in the Newsletter, issue 47.

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:36:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:36:10