Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Dynasty: Dawn of an Empire - SciFi-Modern WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello community!
This is probably the biggest game I'll make.

Story:
The great war has begun. You, the leader of the Empire, have been checking up on the Imperial Service Suite and everything seems to be going fine. After a matter of months the empire was near to completion - recruits and facilities had been touched upon and your empire was indestructible until now.

As a commander checked the Service Suite the signon failed, and at another port a keylog had been detected. You, responsible for the safety of the Empire, must fend off the hackers and restore control over the Empire.

Good luck.

Info:
Map Count: Undecided
Weapons:
1 - Baseball Bat
2 - AK47
3 - AUG
4 - Jackhammer
5 - M249
6 - M4A1
7 - M203
8 - P90
9 - SPR
Screenies:

So, do you like it? I don't set myself deadlines but it might be out next month.
C&C Welcome!

-Phlumetoid

[center]
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 20:12
Your going to have to put in a lot more effort if you want to release it next month...or when ever

Needs some much needed lightmapping.
The levels are pretty much empty.
The textures look good.
The weapons hud not so good
The outdoor level is not that appealing.Your frame rate shows this at 6 frames it pretty much tells me you either have slow system or the level is just to big to handle with good frames.

Some tips.
Object placement would be a good Idea here.Crates boxes ect
In the outdoor level place a few objects to hinder player movement towards the door.Place say a locked gate and have the player search the surrounding buildings for keys ect...instead of having the player go in a straight line towards the door.
Having the player do small tasks to get to the end you get away with a lot more like having smaller levels it will also take the player longer to complete the levels.This will also help having to place large amount of entities...

And of course light mapping never leave this part out if you can doesn't matter how long it takes to compile on your system.Light mapping sets your mood for the game.

Good luck
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
wizard of id -
Quote: "Needs some much needed lightmapping."
Lightmapping does my PC hell, so I can't put any in. Sorry.
Quote: "The weapons hud not so good"

I have no idea where to place huds, considering X, Y and all that business...just confuses me.
Quote: "In the outdoor level place a few objects to hinder player movement towards the door.Place say a locked gate and have the player search the surrounding buildings for keys ect...instead of having the player go in a straight line towards the door."

That's just what you have to do...first you find the switch to open the first door, then find something in the room that wasn't in the room before...say, like a pen or something on the wall. That's the key.

Anybody else?

-Phlumetoid

[center]
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 20:55
Is that Barney Fife you're about to hack up with that axe?

Your Empire looks empty and deserted, and none of the segments really match. It just looks like it was thrown together in short order without much thought... or perhaps you still have a long way to go.

I'm assuming this is in the future, yet in your first pic you are about to attack someone with a bat. In the second pic you have doors from the future and past and neither of them match the buildings they are in. Must have been a sale on doors. There is a road that leads to two doors. Do they all drive motorbikes? And in the last pic, there is a diamond pattern metal floor texture on the ceiling. Everything just looks out of place and nothing is believable.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 21:05
Quote: "wizard of id -
Quote: "Needs some much needed lightmapping."
Lightmapping does my PC hell, so I can't put any in. Sorry."

Cool but A good idea here would be to test limitations in other words build a small level add lights test the map add more lights and make the level a little bigger till your frame rate is too low from this you can learn how big your level can be and how many lights you can add...One could add upto 40 lights and the frame rate won't move below 30 the problem comes when adding entities and then every one blames the lightmapping instead of the real culprit.
What are your system specs maybe we can get a better understanding of what the problem might be...

Quote: "Quote: "The weapons hud not so good"
I have no idea where to place huds, considering X, Y and all that business...just confuses me."
no I'm talking about the black block behind the weapon hud

Quote: "Quote: "In the outdoor level place a few objects to hinder player movement towards the door.Place say a locked gate and have the player search the surrounding buildings for keys ect...instead of having the player go in a straight line towards the door."
That's just what you have to do...first you find the switch to open the first door, then find something in the room that wasn't in the room before...say, like a pen or something on the wall. That's the key.

Anybody else?

-Phlumetoid"
Very good in doing so, again like I said add some more objects to your level to hinder that process even more.Also by adding objects to your level especially segment type objects like stairs ramps and platforms one can improve the visuals as well but also improve the current look of a flat "world" and also give the impression of a much bigger world that what it really is so instead of build every thing on one level use two or even three levels to do so...

That is what I would do use it don't use it I'm just taking things I have noticed in games that play and putting those things to good use in a FPSC.Level Design is an art by it is self.
Owen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 22:08
I see you are using the alien-style marine that s4 re-textured for me

thanks again S4

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/Owenwilliams/?action=view&current=Guile4.jpg
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 07:51 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2007 07:58
Ononmista n00b - Yep, and this is who you play as in the game. Check screeny. S4, you don't mind if I use it commericially do you?

Wizard of ID - Okay, I will bear that in mind; thanks!

xplosys - Yes, I still have a long way to go, and Wizard of ID here's given me some ideas on how to make it better! Thanks again, Wiz. Oh, and who's Barney Fife? That guy's from MP4.

-Phlumetoid

EDIT - It's not really set in the future, it's set in modern day. Bit hard to believe? Look at the screeny!

[center]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 10:09
I'm happy I could help..
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. Okay, it should be out this year at least, remember there's no deadlines so it could be out anytime!

-Working Phlumetoid

[center]
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
bump. I'll post new screenies soon. How do I pack a game into a single EXE? I'm gonna make a demo.

[center]
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay I posted my WIP too early, please lock this thread.

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 06:47:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 06:47:29