Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Controlling a character

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 06:33 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 17:54
Is there any way I can use sparky's with dark physics,and push objects? I'm not talking about the odd attempts of some people to apply a constant force to it that sends it flying out into the middle of nowhere,or a kinematic object that gets the objects lodged in the ground,I just wanna push objects kinda like the newton fps example,except not sliding. Any ideas on how we all could accomplish this?

Edit - Actually,the kinematic thing works ok,but if we find a way to stop if from pushing things with like,10x the mass of it,we are in buisness. Basicly I'm going to use sparky's with a kinematic object,and hopefully I'll be able to stop the kinematic from pushing the giant objects...

Hello
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 22:11
I'm guessing you just increase the friction. That will stop the objects sliding, and make them tip over instead.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 00:32
You could use the provided character controllers

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 00:51
No no no,I wanted to be able to push objects. Otherwise I definately would've done that. Now I just need to find a way to stop the kinematic objects from pushing objects much heavier than itself...

Hello
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 18:45
I thought character controllers could push objects? Well, haven't tested much. Just use a character controller, and when you read through the PHY collision data, if the character controller collides with something else (excluding your level or static objects) then push the object. You'd have to work a little to get it to go in the right direction (away from the CC) but it's probally worth it.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 19:48
character controllers cannot push objects actually,they just stand on them...

Hello
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 19:50
TGC could just go into the character controller clas and do something like the code in the attached file(the forum was saying it had bad language when it doesn't). That would be all they needed to add to the character class to be able to have characters push things.

Hello

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 15:38
I've stopped using character controllers. I use a box with Sparky's collision enabled for sliding collision. I have a second, smaller, kinematic box inside of that, off the ground a bit. It never collides with collision bodies, and pushes everything else out of the way.

I did the same thing with a character controller, but character controllers offer no advantages for me because I'm using Sparky's collision anyway. I can easily apply my own gravity, make them jump, etc. Works perfectly.

Come see the WIP!
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 00:52
Do you use the collision code from sparkies examples or another? If so,where can I learn how to use it for good collision? Cuz I actually may wanna look into using something like that

Hello
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 11:56 Edited at: 14th Feb 2007 11:56
Quote: "where can I learn how to use it for good collision?"

I had never used Sparky's collision before Cash told me about the way you could do it in the post above, but it took me no time at all before I had my engine up and running using kinematic objects and Sparky's. Sparky's collision DLL is really easy to learn and use.

If you want to have a go with it, you can download it from here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:51:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:51:58