Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Fluids without PhysX card

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
will there be any possibility to use fluids without a PhysX card?
I think I read somewhere in the forum, that it would be possible to use them with a future driver or something.
Well, this would be so great because I'd really like to play with fluids.
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 14:36
@ lukas: most possibly it was one of my posts you have read!

IF TGC implement this feature into an DP-Update, then it would be available! (Because DP is based on the AGEIA-SDK, which offers "Software-Fluids" since the SDK-Version 2.6, it is possible for TGC to make it also available in DP, BUT if and when it will be ready depends only on TGC!)

You are not the only one waiting for this feature! (If I had more time, I would try once more to get familiar with C++, OpenGL, AGEIA-SDK, etc., to use the new features of the SDK 2.7 (softbodies, deformable objects, etc.), cause I think it will take some more time to pass by, untill TGC has upgraded DP! )

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.2):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 15:22
It is very slow because of the real time vertex manipulations. It's slow even with a card because that only controls the physics aspects of the fluid, not the graphical aspects. They should fix this, or make a fancy vertex manipulation shader.

Come see the WIP!
lukas
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm, it should definitely be possible to use fluids in a "softwaremode" because the PhysX card only supports the cpu I think. So if the cpu is good enough, you wouldn't need a card, would you?
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 21:33
@ lukas: Actually you would get an error-message, if you try to make a scene with fluids BUT without hardware-card!
This feature must be supported at first by the DP-Software before it allows you to use the fluids in software-mode! But in the actual version of DP this is not available!

Hoozer

Argoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Question, why are you guys trying to have software fluids if the CPU can´t really calculate them sufficient fast for real time gaming? Please enlight me. :-|

And fluids only seam to be slow in darkphysics because i have a PPU and the carwash demo runs great the cellFactor demo liquids don´t make the game slow and the liquids on the Bet on Soldier - Blood of sahara and the Infernal demos runs very well also. So i don´t see why the liquid demo on the darkphysics SDK runs slow. ?

Cheers
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 12:01 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 23:23
@ Argoon: I just want it in "software-mode", cause I would like to experiment with it a bit! (Also I found out with your help that my game has the ability to have more objects in software-mode than in hardware-mode! So the software-mode seems to be less restricted in some cases, although the "game" does not run smooth anymore! )

In all tests I have seen so far only DP seems to do not benefit from a hardware-card, in some cases it performs even a little bit worse than in software-mode! Actually it seems that it is only important to play with the fluids, cause they require the hardware!

I also saw a difference between the "AGEIA-Driver-Demo" with the boxes, running on my dual-core with about 60-85% CPU-Load! But DP seems never to take any real advantage of my Dual-Core, although I use the "phy update 0"- and "phy update 1"-commands (CPU-Load get about 50%-65%)!

I hope TGC improves DP much more, so that these features (and the Hardware-Mode) perform a lot better than now!

Hoozer

White knight
Years of Service
User Offline
well if you set priority in taskmanager it helps on cpu some and makes it pay more attention to the programyou are running and giveing better performance i would recomend setting it to above normal or high but never realtime in realtime the pc may become unstable

new learning center comming soon http://911.bounceme.net/
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 23:33
@ White knight: Good idea, but in my game it does not speed up anything, cause "6270" objects really blow the posssibilities of my Dual-Core (it is still around the 50-65% CPU-Load)!
Well, it is only an option in my game, so it is no real disadvantage!

Hoozer

White knight
Years of Service
User Offline
well hoozer you can make the program load only a few objects dynamicly and use a temp filefor swaping it will only keep track of what you already used and will need. Or if you have aextra pc you could make it a dedicated server and turn your game into a client that will get the infro from the server andload only what you need at the time dynamicly there is alot of ways that you canuse the same amount of objects but load them differently anduseing swap temp file would help.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 12:06 Edited at: 16th Feb 2007 12:08
@ White knight: Interesting info, but I only use boxes (that are the 6270 objects) and nothing else (no complex models etc.) is loaded! For my future projects this info could be usefull, if I ever get a clue how to do that! Cause I'm still new to DB-Pro and DP (only my "theoretic" ideas have no limits actually)! If you have a link or a tutorial that shows how to use your ideas, I would like to take a look at them!

Thanks for the info

Hoozer

White knight
Years of Service
User Offline
well you can do that even with just the boxes open a temp file and have the program write all the needed info in there then have it make it as needed
i'm working on some tutorials and will be opening a site up that will have all kinds of tutorials on various things includeing on how to optimize large programs made with various programms includeing dbpro and more when i get the tutorials and even a full learning game I'll post it up here. It will include multi player useing tcp and complex things with lot's of comments to help guide you and others.Basicly it's gona be a learning center for everyone not just ppl that want to learn how to program it will have things even for ppl who have been programming for yrs like editors and other tools even have sourcecode for some for ppl to learn from.
I was thinking of haveing a open chat for ppl that want to learn have online classes for ppl that want to learn various programming languages and more.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 12:30
@ White knight: Sounds really good to me! I will keep an eye on this thread (or any new one that comes from you and regards this subject)!

Hoozer

lukas
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I just read the newsletter and have a question about the following lines:

Quote: "
Other areas I need to look at include the character controller and possibly fluids. I will also be evaluating the latest Ageia SDK which will present access to some new features such as fluids in software, better hardware support, and deformable objects.

Testing is ongoing right now, and news of the update will be published as soon as it becomes available.
"

does that mean they make fluids run in softwaremode?
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 00:03
@ lukas: I would say he means with "evaluate", he thinks about implementing/porting it into DP, if it isn't to timeconsuming or difficult to do (maybe he makes some choices which features he adds now and which he adds with later add-ons/upgrades/updates)! Only he (Mike) can tell! As you I'm hopeing he does add the whole feature-list even if it takes longer to do!

Hoozer

DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.3):

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:35:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:35:19