Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [DP] Multi Part Object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I was wondering if any one has any ideas on oh to achieve this.

I have a model of a space ship which I have split in to several separate objects (main hull, command section, engines etc...). I have done it this way so that damage can be logged on the separate parts. Then when the damage is too much they break off. The debris will float in space causing obstacles.

I tried making the main hull as a kinematic object and using fixed joint to connect the other parts to it. My thinking being that if I move the main hull the rest of the ship will follow. The problem is that when I joint things to the main hull they appear to move to the centre of the object.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another way to achieve what I want?

Thanks
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 15:01 Edited at: 13th Feb 2007 15:02
I would represent the ship as a physics box and glue the ship components to the box. You can offset them however you like, and they won't move around. It would appear to be one solid ship, and forces acting on the control box would affect the entire ship as one solid object. Whenever a particular piece has received too much damage, you unglue it and turn it into a physics body.

I used a method just like this in my Dark Physics compo entry for the generator. It worked great.

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:30:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:30:54