Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / cardboard cutout guns, any tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 02:18
Ok i know that many people consider cardboard cut out guns as nooby and such, though i cant yet model myself i thought maybe its a good place to start, just so i can get the hang of the software. Are there any tutorials? or anything i should know about doing this? Is it a simple case of using an image of a gun and extruding it? because i think that maybe once I have that basic scale and shape I can maybe work from that and add detail

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not a good place to start.

If you want to get the hand of an app, then model a crate or a bottle or something and then learn to UV map it without stretching. Seriously... Just say no to cardboard cut-outs.
butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
First off ur not taking an image and extruding it
2nd when u model ur making thinks from scratch
If i were to make a hand gun i would start with the handle of the gun and the top of the gun as to rectangles the i would add the trigger a smaller slanted rectangle i would add the barrel which would be a small cylinder the just sticks out from the front.Next up u want to mold em all together by clicking and grabin the corners and putting em into 1 another.ounce u have a decent model u can animate it f u want.After that u have to uv map and assign a texture then u have to convert it into x and have all the sound,modles,gunplacement file ready then u have to write a gun spec file ounce u have all the u can put it in a folder or send it to one of the more experienced modelers on the fourms and with a trade or 2 he/she will make it fpsc ready. If u want an entity run the x file throught the fpscreator entity maker you can doneload it off the fpsc downlaod page run it throught and assigne the texture shape size all that then u have to assignt the folder that the gun will connect too if u can manage to do that u have a working fpsc gun but if u dont no how to get it fpsc ready then ask a more expericend modler. Also if u gana model i sugjest trying metaseq it is easy and very simple to just goof around with and it imports/saves right to x so u dont have to do it.

Best if luck
Butyouman

Slipknot Rules
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 02:35
lol ok point taking.

I didnt mean Cardboard cut out everything, just a starting place for guns really, because i find them really hard to model, i cant seem to get them to scale lol

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 02:36
Quote: "First off ur not taking an image and extruding it
2nd when u model ur making thinks from scratch
If i were to make a hand gun i would start with the handle of the gun and the top of the gun as to rectangles the i would add the trigger a smaller slanted rectangle i would add the barrel which would be a small cylinder the just sticks out from the front.Next up u want to mold em all together by clicking and grabin the corners and putting em into 1 another.ounce u have a decent model u can animate it f u want.After that u have to uv map and assign a texture then u have to convert it into x and have all the sound,modles,gunplacement file ready then u have to write a gun spec file ounce u have all the u can put it in a folder or send it to one of the more experienced modelers on the fourms and with a trade or 2 he/she will make it fpsc ready. If u want an entity run the x file throught the fpscreator entity maker you can doneload it off the fpsc downlaod page run it throught and assigne the texture shape size all that then u have to assignt the folder that the gun will connect too if u can manage to do that u have a working fpsc gun but if u dont no how to get it fpsc ready then ask a more expericend modler. Also if u gana model i sugjest trying metaseq it is easy and very simple to just goof around with and it imports/saves right to x so u dont have to do it.

Best if luck
Butyouman"

I have almost no clue what this said. Use punctuation! Jeez, it's not that hard.

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 02:36
lol we must have posted at the same time lol yeah your probably right, ill try making a basic gun first and just get used to the software

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 04:32
What modeling app are you using?Almost every modeling program has some kind of weapon making tutorial.
You might google Psionic.He has done some excellent tutorials on weapons.
Cardboard cut-out guns and extruding are not the way to go.
You would get a better gun using basic primitives to make it.

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 11:50
Yeah as Fred said, if you give us a shout as to which modelling package you are using, I may be able to help

smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 11:59
Milkshape is pro at making cardboard cut out guns. And Psionic has good tuts for Milkshape modeling.

down with vista and direct x 10
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 17:07
i can get milkshape, if thats the best one too use

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 19:17
Milkshape isn't a major tool for modeling, but amazing for the price.

most people make their models in another program, and just use milkshape to animate them.

just my opinion.
Tyrano

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 20:08
I disagree.I use Milkshape for modeling and so do a lot of other people,including Psionic.
You should all check out the book "3D Game Programming All in One"
It is a kind of bible for making 3D games.
Even if you do not use it for everything the fact is it will come in handy for anybody who is into making 3D games.
It also has information and instructions (a hands-on kind of thing)
on how to use programs like Milkshape,Paint Shop Pro and UV Mapper.
I highly recommend it.

The fact is that I recommend Milkshape for simple reasons.
You can make a model fairly easy,save it,UV map it,load it back in,apply the texture,animate it and export it to .x.
Sometimes it can be a pain to figure out how to do things with Milkshape (animating was one thing that drove me up the wall) but usually once you figure out how to do something with Milkshape it is pretty easy to do again.

Some people don't like Milkshape and that is fine.Your best bet is to check into as many modeling programs as you can.Even if they aren't free (Milkshape runs around $25 USD) most of them still have trials/demos and there are excellent free modeling programs too.
I think Keith has a list of them in the stickies at the top of this forum...if not,I know he has them memorized and he might drop in and post them here as is often the case.
In the end only you can decide what modeling program best works for you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:15:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:15:39