Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D GameMaker - help please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,
Please forgive me if i've posted this to the wrong forum, it's my first post and i can't see a subject for this program in the topics.

I'm new to all this, but have been using 3DGM for a few weeks now. I want to expand what i've been doing by making something a bit more interesting.

I'm totally happy with using this package - i don't have the time at the moment to learn DB, so i'm making do

What i want to do is:

Use the start up page as a way of telling the story for the first part of the game. That's easy

First level is a shooter through an asteroid field - using all the bits that come with 3DGM.

**Once that level is complete, and the next level loads - is there a way to have another start screen to allow me to progress the story?

The second level will be the flight shooter through the lava scenes.

** Again, if possible, another start up screen with the progressing storyline. This to appear between every level.

Third level is the one where you fly through a load of trenches.

Fourth level is a 3rd person run and gun through the corridor levels.

** Can i change the elements between levels? At the moment - for example - if i choose the blue spaceship as the player, and the enemy spaceships as, well...the enemy, can i change to the 3rd person soldier character as the player element and change all of the eney characters to foot soldiers. At the momemnt it seems that i have to have spaceships on every level??

Just to follow my thoughts, i suppose one way around it would be to create an .exe for every level, but i wondered if it was possible to create a game that flowed as one program using these ideas?

Many thanks

Neil
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 18:27
nope im pretty sure thats not possible (The start screen things) to be honest you would be better of learning dbp its not all that hard and I would be willing to help a hand as im sure many other people are on this forum.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

livin247
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi BM,

Thanks for your response and your kind offer of help with DBP. It's a plan for the future, but for now i'll persevere with 3DGM. If the screens aren't possible, is the change of player elements possible between levels or does it have to be a game made with a single style of gameplay/characters?
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 21:07 Edited at: 16th Feb 2007 21:24
you can have a different player for each level. I cant fully remember how to do it but there is a screen somewhere that has a list of up to 20 levels if you click on the next level you can start making something from scratch if you like.

Hope you find this helpful.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 01:18 Edited at: 17th Feb 2007 04:43
Hi livin247,

It's not possible for you to change the genre of the game right in the middle of it all. Either you create an FPS, third-person and so on. And then you create it fully out. While The 3D Game Maker does do what it promise, it is still very limiting in the varity of things you can make with it. If you have the money, I would deffinately say that you should go with something like FPS Creator. Also a product by TGC. While FPS Creator only, as it says, create FPS Games, you will find it MUCH more flexible for you. There are much more ways of using your creativity there. I would highly advise you to check it out (FPS Creator is a drag 'n drop game creator too by the way)

This is the official FPS Creator website:
http://www.fpscreator.com

You can find the FPS Creator community boards on this forum too. There you can find a lot of tutorials, free media and you can see and download games made by other users. You will find a big and growing community there for you to share your projects.

I personally prefer programming all the way, but as you have already stated, you don't have the time for that right now. And well, programming ain't for everybody right?

I hope this helps you.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to the forum!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:34:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:34:27