Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FREE! FPSC Ready Full Scale Valley

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 15:11 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 02:03
Greetings

I have recently been looking into terrain and incorporating this into a level.

There are numerous issues with terrain at the moment but a) hopefully these will be worked on by TGC in future v1.05 RC releases and b) these issues relate to the fact terrain identification works correctly with the player and not enemies so maybe terrain could be used effectively in a multiplayer map at least for the time being.

I've put together a full scale valley which uses the maximum size of the map editor grid and textured it for you.

This is for anyone wishing to play around with some terrain that either doesn't mind putting in the time to use work arounds for the known enemy collision issues or wants to try it out in a multiplayer game.

Next I will make some smaller sections that piece together and see if this is a better approach as mentioned in some of the other terrain threads.

I'll post any findings / better terrains etc if there is enough interest in this until the known bugs have been fixed.

I have attached a screenshot in this post and will upload the actual files in my next post.

Regards

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 15:15
Here is the actual FPSC ready download!

I have included instructions for importing this into FPSC within the download, which I would advise you read first unless already know what you are doing.

Please note that the download is in .rar format so you will need to extract it

This map runs at a good 30 frames per second on my PC

Have fun

Attachments

Snowwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 15:42
Looks good,

You better should create single mountains and hills,

Luciferia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 16:49
its good except a valley is created by a river. it iisn't a load of hils. however its good to see natural stuff in fpsc. I think the next model pack should be natural stuff like trees plants and animals.

Precinct 101 demo available
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 16:56
Ok I congratulate your attempts at this. So many of us have burned this bridge long ago. I myself have created several threads on explaining how to import terrain. Here area few things for you to chew on.

When exporting the terrain from various studios the mesh gets all jacked up. Holes appear in the mesh when you know for a fact that you did not have any holes. Now another thing that is a major issue is the mulit-textured objects thing. Now you can effectively import mult-textured things in to FPSC with out creating texture maps. Now the problem that this presents is the object has to be dynamic. You can edit the file preferences for each object but will never truly fix the problem unless you take the time and UVmap and add a Texture map to the model. the engine plays different roles when calculating static and dynamic objects.

I recommend you Create the UVmap and then add the texture map to the model. this should eleviate alot of the collision problems on the terrain. In fact I think I am going to do a quick test. I will post my findings here for you.

By all means do not get discouraged. just keep on keeping on1

Regards,
RF

Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 17:16
looks like a good multy map to me
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 22:54
itd be cool if you could split it up in single mountains, like this vally, just split it up into different entites so its easier to work with, but imo its great looking

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
lynch productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 23:54
it wont work for me is there any extra tips you could give out??

will

lynch production
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 00:40
Nomad Soul,

Greetings. What an outstanding contribution to the community! Many will be grateful for this fine addition.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
video gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 17:42
could you make it an .exe file
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 16:57
Thanks All

Reality Forgotten - I'm looking into your comments and experimenting with some new ideas at the moment. I'll post my findings and look forward to hearing from you once you've finished your tests.

Will at Lynch Productions - Can you be a little more specific as to the difficulty you are experiencing and please ensure you have read my instructions carefully.

Video Gamer - If I get time I will put the files into an auto installer and post in this thread.

Attached is another screenshot showing the player at ground level to give a slightly better idea of perspective.

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 17:10
And here is an in game video clip

Please note this was recorded with Fraps at half resolution to keep the file size down so looks better when running in real time.

As previously mentioned the map runs at 30 frames per second and I've also noticed that there does not appear to be any 'lag spots' in this map which has been an issue in other terrain I have tested in FPSC which is at least 1 problem out the way!

The collision for this map works fine for the player but will post and findings once I've made some more progress regarding enemy entities collision.

Regards

Attachments

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 23:05
Could I add this to my new FPS Content site? It isnt online yet, but when it is, I will let you know. If so, email me at michaeladietrich@msn.com, please.

---PARANOID PRODUCTIONS---
Vindicator 209
Years of Service
User Offline
did you do this with a plane? cause thats what I did XD

This is nice, I like it! Only thing is, you cant add a new area, or another peice of terrain, cause it doesnt flatten out at the sides XD, but verry nice, and nice texturing job tew!

lynch productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 23:38
my problem is that it wont show up in my game ive read the instructions im woundering if i need that new patch or if i need to update my derect x but anyway i really like your model its very realistic your an excellent modeler!

will

lynch production
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 01:54
Commander in Chief - I'm quite happy for you to add this to your site and congratulations, another FPSC site is always welcome!. I'm assuming that your not intending to charge anything for it. It's for testing purposes and hopefully enough interest to get some support for making terrains a more integral part of FPSC rather than a 'thing to avoid'.

Vindicator209 - Indeed I start with a plane in a 3D modeller and build the map from the ground up (literally!) i.e. no height map used. Thanks for the + comments, I appreciate what your saying about the fact there is no route out of the terrain at the moment as I've geared this more towards a multiplayer map due to the current enemy entity collision issue. The possibilities for a bunch of multi part outdoor levels to follow on from each other is definately interesting for single player though.

Will - I take it your not seeing the map in game after build rather than in the map editor as shown in screenshot 2 of my instructions (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm using v1.04 RC9 I believe or RC10 (use search at bottom of thread) and the December release of DirectX 9.0c (download from Microsoft for latest or search in google for re distributable developer version). An extended processing period during the 'building portals' phase of the build process appears to indicate successful implementation. Let me know progress

It was a shame FRAPS took like 10 frames per second off my performance in video even when recording at half resolution. The video effectively appears to be running at 20 frames per second rather than the full 30 that is experienced in game when FRAPS isn't running. If anyone can personally recommend a non resource hungry screen recorder (preferably at full resolution), please post in thread below

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99924&b=21

Thanks
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for this, it looks really good to me.
iNjEcT
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Nomad soul,

Have you used some sort of "Mega Texturing" on this? What app did you use to create this UV Map? I think this looks very nice for a quick Multiplayer map but I am sure you are keeping back some nice maps to produce at a later date. Something tells me you have been doing this before in some why or another, are you a “Lead programmer” or something?

P.S Good work looks nice and smooth

"Be the changes you want to see"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:23:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:23:51