Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Undocummented commands in DBP ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 21:45
I am new to Game programming and Dark Basic Pro but come from a programming background. I liked the look of DBP and bought a copy and patched it to 6.4

I have been going through code examples from the site and the forums and have started to notice commands appearing in people's code which appear to be undocumented but DBP is quite happy to execute. Sparky's Sliding Collision example for instance references lots of terrain based commands for which I can find no documentation: 'update terrain' and 'get terrain ground height' to mention just a few.

Am I missing something here? Can anyone tell me where the documentation for these and other seemingly undocumented commands are? It's not so much that I can't work out what they are doing within the context of the surrounding code as much as the feeling that I may be missing out on a wealth of other commands that I could be utilising.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 23:28
for the advanced terrain commands you see in sparky's demos you need to get the "advanced terrain" update/plugin for DBP. I can't remember if it's a plugin or update. When you download it, you will get all the advanced terrain commands and a help file that you can place in your dbp folder so they be accessible from your help tab. As for the others you mention, I don't know, but if they're part of an update, you'll probably find them with that update, like the advanced terrain commands. But I feel your frustration, I wish TGC would make a comprehensive reference file avilable. Any way, its all out there.

D
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 23:41
Advanced Terrain has been included as standard from about 5.9. The help file was created by a user, I don't have it on this laptop unfortunately.

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 01:12
Thanks guys, I installed the plugin and have the help files now. I must agree that a comprehensive reference file would be a great asset.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 03:26
In addition to those, there are also a whole set of other undocumented commands.

Take for example ODE Physics. Though, they never planned to provide documentation for this to begin with.

I have also heard of a 3DS2X command which works, however, I have never actually tried using this command.

Theres also Always Active On, Always Active Off, etc. If you look in the Migrating from DBC section of the documentation, most (if not all) of those commands appear to compile (Working, I am not sure about).

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:26:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:26:42