Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Real-Time Image Textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to have FPSC continuously load an image from a directory as the game is being played?
So to normally load an image (to apply as an entity texture) we do this:

load image "myimage.jpg",1

Presumably the location of myimage.jpg is something like => C:\windows\mygame\myimage.jpg

What if we had a program running in the background in windows that would replace C:\windows\mygame\myimage.jpg with a different photo every few seconds? Wouldn't this show up in FPSC as the texture of the entity changing every few seconds?

Would FPSC be able to be configured to read in the "myimage.jpg" from a file location (e.g. C:\windows\mygame\myimage.jpg) every few seconds and not stored before the game begins (e.g. a resource)???

This would be VERY cool- we could have real-time textures..
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 17:34
Sorry, but I think not. I don't know if it can be done in other engines.

"Now handle your emerald sword!"
XVR
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it might be possible- how does FPSC know what image to apply as a texture for a model? It loads a .jpg from a specific location on the hard drive and applies it to an entity.

All we have to do is have it re-read the image every few seconds.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 23:18
Quote: "I think it might be possible- how does FPSC know what image to apply as a texture for a model? It loads a .jpg from a specific location on the hard drive and applies it to an entity.

All we have to do is have it re-read the image every few seconds."

No.FPSC finds the texture that you specify when the game/level is built and that is it.
You can specify up to two textures (under some circumstances) but once FPSC loads the models that is it.Those are the textures you get to use.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 23:29
Actually Fred more then two textres may be used. I believe Errants guns are using four textures. But your right, when the data loads it just loads. It never changes, nor can it re-read for the texture. What loads at the begining of the level is what is displayed in the game. No more or less.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 01:20
I meant if you specify textures.As long as you don't specify textures you can use as many as you want on an entity as far as I know.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 01:22
OK, my bad, I misunderstood you Fred.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:13:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:13:16