Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / The RPGDTE is a killer! AGH

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My RPGDTE rpg engine is a killer, sure its really cool
and way user friendly and dose TONS possibly all things oldschool. However if I swear the thing is splitting my head open I just sat here today going over ALL the lines of code for every editor and relised how complex it really is.

I mean i was creating the enemy mapper and field placement
editor "the rpgdte relys on scripting for game functions"
but for battle designing and you need this thing, anyway i noticed the array intertwinings over the mass scale started to
blur my vision from al the parantheses )( it was like
an optical illusion now my head is splitting ^_^ but darn it if i love this project! IM hoping to finish this and insert both the battle system and saving and loading features by then end of sunday! Once the enemy maper is complete you can begin creating enemies of anysize on just 1 bitmap WITH NO set sizes they can be multiple sizes of dissorganisation and you can still use em! MY stat refiner came out superbly im hapy to say its done. Well... everything is done in this editor except for being able to specify more than one battle scene at a time, it supports enemy layering on the battle fields you can shift which is ontop of which by a simple B - send back one layer F - forward 1 layer. "which im glad i added cause it is indeed usefull as i suspected" enemy placment works with the arrows and gamepads "i try to keep everything i can working with both keyboard and gamepad as much as possible all my editors do and the engine application. But the best part of all is the battle system is a seprate scriptable!
using action events you can make something happen everytime something changes in the battle. Even create your own status effects, events for enemies dieing, or you can automate a battle for a story outcome, you can even make speach during battles and automate the battle between characters and enemy so they will fight as you say "good for neat little events FOR example FF5 when galuf fights Ex-death and dies (it was automated you couldnt control it)",
plus you can use this to make enemies divide upon death for example, even animate things otherwise not possible in a game creation program. this engine is way complex but its definately worth it to me.

There is so much it can do can wait to see what i can make it do next, ill try to keep you all upto date!

l8r!
-IronHoof
-----\
There was a man on the stairs that wasn't there.
He wasn't there agian today I think he's from the CIA.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 16:04
This is a really cool RPG designer. I first downloaded it, scanned it and thought that it was too complicated, but it's not too bad. I'm looking forward to messing around with it, you've really brought a nostalgic tear to my eye.
ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I try to keep it atleast well documented there is a .CHM "compiled HTML files formatted help" in the RPGDTE folders in the help folder
also it would be in your start menu -> programs under RPGDTE2 and also when you initially install it it asks if you want to view it. However sometimes the complex programs are the best way. I think the best way to make RPG's are with an engine that works with scripting, menu engines are also nice... but you can make the engine so complex that eventually it will outdue what a menu system will let you do , you loose detailed settings and possibilites and then the adventual your engine dose so much that your menu program cant get any bigger and thats it problem. So I
used a VECTORED script translator.

-----\
There was a man on the stairs that wasn't there.
He wasn't there agian today I think he's from the CIA.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 20:59
I agree. It's a great editor, I look forward to the battle engine. Perhaps you could hold a contest later to review the best RPGDTE Mod.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:39:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:39:23