Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Few questions / problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

I just wondered if someone could help me with a few problems i have and a few questions i want answered if possible.

1) If i created a really nice single FPS or RPG, could it ever be playable online by loads of other players accross the world?

2) How long does it normally take someone good at Darkbasic to create a decent FPS or RPG?

3) When i LOAD an object, they always turn out horrible and blotchy, even though i saved them as good quality, is there anything to make it good quality?

4) Are there any other good tutorials around for DBP for making an FPS or RPG, don't get me wrong RUCCUS tutorial is good but not quite finished, also the person who made that RPG is good, but again not finished.

5) Can DBP if used right ever create something with the good graphics like BF2, or CS:S? Or even CS 1.6?

I have a problem, i understand what this code does because i followed RUCCUS FPS tutorial, the problem i have is when i kill an enemy, i get the following error - "object does not exist on line 241" i know why it's happening because this bit of code is obviously still going :

I just wondered if there was a simple bit of code what i can add where i could stop this bit of code when an enemy dies.

Another problem i have is when i walk into a waall looking down for about 5 seconds, it moves me down and can either push me through the floor, or put me on the other side of the wall, is there anything to stop this please? I've used all of RUCCUS collosion and INTERSECT etc.

I really love using DBP, it's such a good program, but if i want to get better at it i really need some help now and again, so if some of you don't mind helping me i really want to become good at using it.

Many thanks,

Jamie
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 19:53
Quote: "1) If i created a really nice single FPS or RPG, could it ever be playable online by loads of other players accross the world?"

Yes, you need to spend a great deal of time on it though.

Quote: "2) How long does it normally take someone good at Darkbasic to create a decent FPS or RPG?"

Well, getting good at DBP takes several months, to be a master may take a year or more. Once you are proficient enough, you could pump out a decent fps or rpg within a few months if you treated it like a full time job. Others dick around and take their time and have been working in dbp for years without producing a single finished game. It is more up to your drive and work ethics than it is your abilities. Abilities determine the quality, determination determines completion

Quote: "4) Are there any other good tutorials around for DBP for making an FPS or RPG, don't get me wrong RUCCUS tutorial is good but not quite finished, also the person who made that RPG is good, but again not finished."

There are tutorials gallore, additionally look at the code snippets on the forum. Most of these do not require you to download any media and you can usually just copy and paste them into your editor and run them. I spend a lot of time in code snippets as they are sort of like mini-tutorials usually for specific tasks or demonstrating certain commands. Very useful Another thing you can do is just read through each of the commands in the help file, see what they do and if you dont understand them either examine them further or skip them and come back to them later. When I first started I skipped over things like memblocks and limb offsets etc. but I came back to them later, and they made complete sense

Quote: "5) Can DBP if used right ever create something with the good graphics like BF2, or CS:S? Or even CS 1.6?"

Refering back to my answer for your question #2, it greatly depends on your ability. If you are a very capable texturing artist, modeler and highly creative programmer, the sky is the limit. I would not expect anything of that quality to ever be produced in DBP for several reasons. DBP has seen some commercial success here and there, but it has never produced a 'blockbuster hit' of any kind. Don't get me wrong, great things can be made with DBP. It is great for indipendants because it's ease of use, and ability to turn out products VERY fast. With adequate resources (faculty and financial), time and motivation, great things can be made with dbp.

Quit planning to make a game and make a game.
!LLu
Years of Service
User Offline
Great thanks a lot for those tips , can anyone please refer to my problems?

Thanks.
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 03:52 Edited at: 28th Feb 2007 03:55
Here's the working code for the enemy. I added the endif for the intersect object command as well.

If you post the collision code for your player I might be able to help you with that to.

Working on an FPS Engine.
!LLu
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot DB, that's sorted that problem

That's the simple bit of code i got from RUCCUS tutorial.

Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:27:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:27:56