Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Last Half of Darkness 2: Beyond the Spirit's Eye

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 22:54 Edited at: 27th Feb 2007 22:55
Hello Everyone...

I just finished my demo for my newest adventure game [no it doesn't use realtime 3d but it was made in dark basic]

Link to demo and screen shots:

http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/beyond/demo.htm

I really need someone with Vista to try it out and see if it works ok.

Thanks
Bill
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 00:16
Wow, looks awesome, are those shots from DBP or are they 3D renders?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 02:45 Edited at: 28th Feb 2007 02:53
Good to see this game's getting a sequel! It's looking nice.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 02:58
@billy777 -
You made the original Last Half of Darkness?

Come see the WIP!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 05:15
WOW! This looks amazing... and really creepy.
billy777
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments everyone... No I'm not using pro.

Has anyone had a chance to try it with Vista?

Thanks
Bill
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2007 15:02
Is the RPG game made with DB too?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2007 15:14
I love you

This is amazing. Great job!

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 19:53
Hey!
Looks like you invested a lot of time and work in this, a big compliment for this!
I didn't have the chance to test the demo with vista, but i have some feedback for you.

1. In the final version you should fix the flickering and db-mouse display at the beginning of the game, it looks unprofessional.
I know i had this in my db games two, so i'm not quiet sure if its avoidable or not.
If not: why not using dbp instead

2. One thing i realized is the change of locations due to cut scenes.
For example when you solve the first puzzle, the cut scene shows you that something happens in the first room.
But instead of still being in the puzzle room, you are automaticly in the first room.
I would let the player go back to the first room, so he has the "OH - i know this room, i'll go in it and see what happened"-feeling (sorry my english is not the best )
The same when you visit the witch - the camera should move from the current screen the player sees to the witch room, so he doesn't lose orientation.

3. Also i would change the text-system, bmp-fonts would do a great job!
you could smoothly fade out dialog-text when its getting old.
Also i realized that the collision detection doesn't work for long dialog-answers so you can't choose it when the cursor is in the right part of the sentence.
A simple change of values would solve that problem.

4. The cursor is displayed under the text.

5. I think there is a little display bug of the witch, when you talk to her. Her head it kind of flickering.

I think you should change some sounds, like the thunder in the witch-house, i think it destroys the great atmosphere.

All in all you did a great job, the animations look professional and the puzzle makes me want more of them
Keep it up!

Greets,
Ape.
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 21:19
Excellent job! This reminds me of Crystal Key, Myst, ect. (That is a good thing )

Keep up the good work!

Practice makes perfect. But if nobody is perfect, why practice?
Bubbly world
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 07:04
I'm pretty sure putting a cls command at the beginning of the code will remove the flickering, otherwise well done!

Current Pi digits known off by heart:
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 09:10 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 11:48
I can't believe I missed the demo until now.

I'm an avid fan of Shadows of the Servants and I've been waiting quite a while to see the BTSE demo.

Downloading now, I'll be sure to give you some feedback when I'm done with it .

If it's as good as SOTS was, it'll be great .

EDIT - Well I got through the demo. I must say you've struck a brilliant chord once again, Beyond The Spirit's Eye is going to be sitting next to my copy of Shadows of the Servants the day it comes out .

I loved the opening scene. It looked beautiful and your skills in animation keep getting better. Definetely a step up from SOTS (and that was beautiful).

The only thing I found even mildly annoying was that in the second dialog option when talking to the voodoo shaman, the talking lagged behind the text and went out of sync. Of course, that section of dialog was quite long so it didn't matter too much.

The other thing bothered me a little bit but is understandable. The video compression in the demo was fine for the main part but on the second half of the boat ride, some of the shadowy areas didn't come up too well. Was the compression simply because this is a demo or the actual quality the final game will look like?

Otherwise, the demo was fantastic. I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to handle waiting until the full game is released. Be assured that you'll have a sale from me on the first day it's released .

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 06:56
hella awesome looking! great to see another professional game coming out from the depths of dbp. I remember your earlier game, this time i see you have a manual and a map of some sort, but I didn't see anything about them on your site. Sorry to say i don't have vista so I cannot test the game for you.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 07:53
What's more amazing is it's coded in DBC, same as Shadows of the Servants. Granted, the stuff is pre-rendered but it's still a great use of the engine.

Actually, I just remembered another thing about the demo. The first puzzle, although not too difficult, took a while to figure out. I knew I had to get all of the eyes fully exposed but following the times to turn it on the paper didn't seem to get the correct combination. I simply fiddled around for a while until they were all exposed and it unlocked. Of course, maybe I followed the instructions wrong.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:34:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:34:00