Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Noobish UV Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 22:57
Hey uh, in my models is there a specific type of uv mapping that you have to use to get the texture right in fpsc....like planar or box or what?

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios

Logo made at http://www.grsites.com/logo
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 23:03
Nope. Any can be used. And if you look at any of the textures for like TGC stock characters you'll see them using a mixture of alot of different types, eg.,planar/clyindrical/pelt/box and even hand stitching polys together where needed. It all depends on the shape of the object being mapped, and little to do, if any, with one type being better then another.
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 23:12
Really? I tried box and it didn't work very good. In fact, it completely screwed up my model.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 00:01
Box is good like for feet sections where you want a nice flat image or the top/bottom/left and right/front and back. I never personally leave anything as strictly planar or strictly box. I'm always re flattening section to stitch them together so my textures don't stretch like heck. Take shoulder straps on the thug model, how they look in a game. They tried to straighten them out in the texturing, but those dang things go every which way. It was a horrible, almost noob, UV mapping job. A much better place to leave the seam on that part would have been the sides where the material was all the tee shirt color(and I did re-map this character for my own use).
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 00:05
k. thanks loc.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 00:22
I box map every seperate mesh of my models, see pic:

I doubt it's the most effective way to texture my guns but i still find it really helpful. Plus, i always save my texture maps at 2040 x 1340 to ensure a high-res texture.

AE

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 00:51
wow!! that is one heck of a UV map

it's good if you can do this. That way you can literally paint every part just as you need it.

But the bad point would be continuity Like cylindrical objects being box mapped would show seams at 4 places....

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 01:06
I think it's trial and error really. I think Loc and the rest of the guys all have different methods. None of wich are incorrect but just a matter of personal taste. I returned my prof software to the re-seller after a very long 3 week fight with them, and have decided to use Blender. The UVmapping is fairly straight forward (If you have used Blender you'll understand that joke)

The barrel that I created was a perspective unwrap. Basically taking the current position of the model at that time and creating the wire outline. and I textured off of that. on the new model I am working on I am using the same process but I am seperating the pieces and doubling up the identicle parts. That's how I UVmap..

Just try a bunch of diferent methods and find what works for you.

Cheers,
RF

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:24:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:24:23