Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A Mini-game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 05:01 Edited at: 1st Mar 2007 05:02
Alright gents, I'm new to the forums, but I've been coding in DarkBASIC for quite a while. I've recently begun experimenting with shaders and some new stuff in an effort to finally make a full-blown, high visual quality game with my favorite language, DarkBASIC. The game thus far is a hack n'slash set in a dark, pillar filled labyrinth. You're assailed by skeletal undead and other horrors of shadow and shade, and must fight them off as long as possible with nothing but a sword and a torch. Simple? Yes, but
what the game lacks in gameplay I hope it makes up for in raw quality. I'm posting the two newest shots I have and I promise to follow up with more as the game becomes for solid. I also have a demo set up, but it has several unadressed bugs in it (see my Windows XP bug thread in the DB Pro forum for more info). I'll set it up, but I can't assure you that it will work for you yet. Anyway, enjoy, and let me know if you have any suggestions.

P.S. The demo requires Pixel shader 1.3 and vertex shader 1.1 support to run, and all textures and models are VERY temporary at this point and time as well. The lighting is also very dark, so you might want to either turn up your briteness or play in a darker room.

http://pilgrimsjourney.bluegillweb.com/IthiaEngine.zip

The time for speaking comes rarely, the time for being never departs. ~George Macdonald
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 08:52
both the screen shots are just black screens and i have my moniter turned up to full brightness.

Projects: zlugs-2%
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 11:17
Well my monitors contrast and brightness are fairly good, but I can only just see a slight brown shading at the sides of the first and in the center of the 2nd, you should really consider lighting it up A LOT, unless your game takes place in a sealed cave with no lighting.

Skids Cyber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 15:06
Yeah, unfortunately it is taking place in an entirely sealed cave with no light but a torch. It's brighter in game than it is in the screen shots, and I've increased the light a bit since then as well.

The time for speaking comes rarely, the time for being never departs. ~George Macdonald
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 17:50
oh yeah now i can see a sort of rock around it.

Projects: zlugs-2%
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 18:58
It's kind of cool, but based on the way the input works it seems like you're using inkeys$() for your input. This is fine except it only takes in one key at a time. use keystate(scancode) instead. This way you have inputs for each specified key.

W - 17
A - 30
S - 31
D - 32

Attached is the program I use to reading scancodes.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Skids Cyber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 20:28
Actually antidote I already added the Scancode system. It was somewhat of an afterthought, but one of my other testers suggested it 2 weeks ago so I fixed it up a bit. The next version I release publicly should have it, as well as actual gameplay, revamped visuals (including a little bit more briteness ) and hopefully one if not both gameplay modes active (survival and escape).

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
i can see something that looks like a cave but theres lots of black i think it looks good, is that a shader you are useing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:34:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:34:14