Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What value/units is Speed in the Move Object command

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
MOVE OBJECT Object Number, Speed
"..The command uses the current direction of the object and moves it using the specified step value.."

Wondering what the step value is? Units/Sec? Frames/Sec?

Thanks
!LLu
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not to sure, i would of thought it would be pixels, but i'm probably wrong, but i would say start on .5, that's a pretty good speed
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 10:38
World Units.

As the size of a world is relative to the objects in it, you can't have a specific size unit.

For example, if you created a matrix 1000 units x 1000 units and placed a cube 10x10x10 on it, you might decide that a unit is 1cm - making the cube 10cm x 10cm.

If you now place a model of an ant next to the cube, but make it twice the size of the cube, the camera position can be placed to make it look like a normal sized ant and a really tiny cube - or a normal sized cube and an enormous ant.

See what I mean now about all sizes being relative?

So, we talk about World Units. Therefore, with Move Object, the distance the object appears to move depends on the scale of the world and the objects in it.

If it's small, then you move the objects a small number of units - or even a fraction of a unit (ie Move Object 1,0.01).

If you have a huge world, then you may have to use Move Object 1,10 to even see it move.

Hope that helps...

TDK_Man

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 15:09
Quote: "but i would say start on .5, that's a pretty good speed"

No, it doesn't matter what speed you start on, it's all relative to the rest of your world. You could have a larger world (say 100,000x100,000 units) and a smaller one, say (100x100) and they would look the exact same, but be on a different scale. It's all relative.

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. I understand the world units so far (I think)

So lets say as a measurement I'm going to use 1unit=1meter

I've got a cube 1,1,1. If I do "Move Object ID,1" It would move the object 1m every sync. Is that correct?

And if I wanted to move the object like a car in Km/h I would base it of the timer()?

Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 19:18:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 19:18:22