Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D Studio Max, terrains, and collision detection

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 09:27 Edited at: 10th May 2003 09:29
hi, i'm using 3d studio max to create all the models for my game, and i'm having trouble finding information on doing collision detection with .x objects that are being used as terrains. i've found plenty of info on using matricies, but nothing on .x objects. is there a way to import the object as a matrix to do the collision detection? any help is appreciated. here's a couple pics of the terrain i'm using.

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 12:39
This may help you
cheers
http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=15135
reptilezero
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a lot!! i think this will help out
reptilezero
Years of Service
User Offline
argh, forgot to say i was using regular DB, and there's no intersect object in that version thanks for the help anyway, though!
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 00:20
you better switch to DBPro right away..those screen shots seem to promise very cool stuff
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 05:14
The irony is he hasn't got it to 'work' yet

*snicker*

Pneumatic Dryll
reptilezero
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah i know i've been spending all my time learning 3d studio max, and in DB about the only thing i can do is move around a camera, and load objects my next step was to do some basica collision detection, and that's where i started having problems i'll check into DB Pro and see what it has to offer...i heard that it's awfully buggy, though...
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 10:29
Do you have db1.13 with the enhancements?

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
reptilezero
Years of Service
User Offline
i have 1.13, but i don't think it has any enhancements...i bought it from compusa, and it basically just came with the manual, some tutorials, and darkedit. db pro looks nice, and it's cool that it has bsp support, but i haven't been able to find a plugin for max that exports to that format (for version 5 anyway), and i really didn't want to go back to radiant (not that there's anything wrong with it for making quake levels )
cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
I use only MAX 5.0 for modeling in my games and I have a few snippets that might help with object detection and so forth. But, they are in DBPro, not DBC, sorry.

How far are you now. Do you have basic collision detection for your characters running into say, a box or something?

DBPro example. (may work in classic, dunno)

rem load character
load object "./objects/guy.x", 1
load object "./objects/max_object.x",3

rem wall or other object collision
if object collision(3,1)>0 then position object 1,oldX#,height#-1,oldZ#:move#=0
if object collision(3,1)=<0 then move#=orig_move#

It's a very basic snippet, but essentially if you hit a wall or other .x object with assignment of "3" then the object will stop as aposed to walking through it. If you hit the down key you will move away from the object.

Collision sliding is something I am currently working on, when I get it done (should be a day or 2) I will post it for you.

hope this helps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 07:38:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 07:38:27