Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Gamemaker educational game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I will be soon publishing some educational games using the commercial version of 3D Gamemaker (mostly for teaching English to non-English spealers). I have posted segments from the cinematics that are included in the prologue of the games for anyone to enjoy. Any feedback, or constructive remarks are very welcome.

Here is the youtube link to the space game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBC5zlXdDw

Here is the youtube link to a jungle oriented game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuLU_VS2BAU

Screen shots are in the video monitors. We used Maya and other packages to transform the tomato into the main character. The target audience is 6 to 8 year olds. The games will become available on my dictionary site: www.websters-online-dictionary.org

Enjoy!
Phil
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
i can understand the tomato and the lip synching is good but:
1. how does it teach?
2. why 3d gamemaker?

[link]"http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Dared1111/" my account on GGE[\link]
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 23:17
I like it

looks like one of the better games made with t3dgm

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 23:28
My guess is t3dgm because its easy, because he doesnt have darkbasic/pro, or because of speed. Or a combination of those.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Thanks for the comments. We created models etc. external to 3DGM that teach concepts, using animated decales, texture maps, audio files, etc. We are also using sound files to teach. this is not obvious from the prologue video, since it was designed to give the story line, not teach anything in and of itself. As for programming, most of it is actually done using VB (for the game shell), MEL (for Maya object creation and texture mapping), etc. 3DGM is simply used as a level/movement renderer. We do not use most of the 3dGM functionality, characters, weapons, etc. Again, this is targeting children ages 6 to 8. There is really no need for something more powerful than 3D gamemaker. We ran a few focus groups with local elementary school kids and found the tomato had greatest effect. Since we are swapping out textures, music, decales, etc. the game play is pretty fun for that audience (again, we created some of our own objects, etc.).

Hope this answers your question. Any more comments on the video quality, etc., I would love to hear back from people.

Thanks
Phil
zavix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 22:10
I'm guessing the main reason he used T3DGM is because Where else can you find a walking, talking, tomato?

oh yeah. about the vids. they're pretty cool. I'm a T3DGM user too. in fact, I'm working on a game at this moment.
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Zavix,
Actually, none of the characters in 3d gamemaker talk. We did the talking part in Maya, as was the modelling and animation of Webster in the video. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Phil
zavix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 22:14
I am cyclops!
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 22:24
Quote: " I am cyclops!"
What on earth has that got to do with anything?

Projects: zlugs-2%
Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 18:15
Quote: "[ic:robot]I am cyclops!"

what the... what has that got to do with anything ? if it's called anything it's Random spam. Way to ruin a decent games thread

---

Looks good keep it up.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 19:10
awesome job im liking this. cant wait for more

RPG Engine Work in progress!
zavix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 20:50
I liked the vids.

P.S sorry bout the cyclops thing. couldn't resist

kinda confusing about why you call this an educational game
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 21:46
apology taken
but in future if you ever have to do the cyclops thing again use this: not this:.

thanks to deathead for the sig!
Projects: zlugs-2%
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 11:04
well in that case....

i am cyclops

nah thats sad sorry, good luck with your game dude its looking good

RPG Engine Work in progress!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 06:13
Lol. I recognize that Ultra Scene from anywhere. But the game looks interesting.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for being stupid but
me is going to blast u all away!

Looks good problem really how does he teach spanish and languages?

PLS JOIN I really do
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
dabip,
Yes, the trak shots are from Ultra 2. The in-game fillers were FRAP'd, the sound effects were from www.sound-ideas.com, the character (tomato) was rigged, skinned, weighted and animated in Maya & Motion Builder, the rest are pieced together from third party suppliers (like the revealers, and name labels, etc.). All the lip synch was done automatically using wav file readers. The compositing was in Adobe Premier & Audition to mix the voice (mine by the way -- both the tomato and me). In all, about 10 packages were used for the Video (sounds crazy, but true).
Phil

p.s. we will try to post a game level soon.
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Here are some cut scenes for SAT prep test questions using the hero of the game, Webster -- a clever tomato, posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA01-gqmr88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNTZ4vEqGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew7zRcpS0Lo

Any comments welcome. Again, the Tomato is the main character in the game, these are cut scene cinematics.

Phil
Daris Xiao or Benjy Wright
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 05:35
@ Drudkh: I know this probably isn't the place to ask this, but I couldn't find either your Email or messanger addresses. But from reading this I understand that you or someone you are currently working with animates models in Maya and uses those models in 3D Game Maker. If they are being loaded into the Game Maker as a format that DarkBasicPro can also use, I would really really like to talk to whom ever is working with them in Maya.

Our team has had tons of trouble spreading over the last several month, and we've had no success at getting our character models into DBPro properly from Maya. Our Modeller/Animator has very little experience with DarkBasicPro, and I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you or your team may be able to offer.

If you would like to see our project: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85322&b=19&p=5

Thanks!

Daris Xiao - Phonetic: Daris Shiao. aka: Benjy Wright.
2.4Ghz Pentium 4 (800FSB!!!) - 1024mb RAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb Video (With the biggest cooling fan allowed by U.S. law!)
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Dear Daris Xiao or Benjy Wright,
I am afraid that we do not import our Maya work into DBpro, FPSC or 3D Gamemaker (directly that is). Rather, we use Maya for our characters in cut scenes (avi, mov, etc.) that are run or called from the main interfaces or trigger zones. We are using the standard models (e.g. from model packs, etc.) for the "within" game play. In sum, the two are completely separate. Within Maya, we do all things animation with our characters for the cinematics (paint weights, rigs, mocap, etc.). I am actually the actor in the mocap, using a suit. Again, these mocaps are used in the cinematics, not in the games (we use the mocap supplied or being supplied in packs we can acquire from third parties). This is not to say that it cannot be done, it is simply not the approach we are taking (we really do not need fancy game-play animation). I hope this explains it well enough to you. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Cheers,
Phil
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Just had a chance to look at your project. Very ambitious, very cool. We are thinking of using FPSC X10, though not an RPG, for release in 2008-2009 (again, education oriented -- language learning, etc.). It hopes to have enough power to bring in our bigger Maya models without crashing, and giving good render rates. The stock Maya models we have bought come from all over the place (e.g. turbosquid), and we will throw these in. We hope to "deepexploration" them into FPSC. Time will tell. First we need to get Webster, the clever tomato, out the door. The only new models we imported directly into 3d gamemaker are some walls/barriers/passages we built, with picture frames and textures -- nothing heavy.
Phil
Daris Xiao or Benjy Wright
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 04:31
@ Drudkh: Thanks so for the prompt response! Good luck with your project! If you do have any success with getting re-animated models into the TGC software, I'd really appreciate hearing about it! Thanks!

Daris Xiao - Phonetic: Daris Shiao. aka: Benjy Wright.
2.4Ghz Pentium 4 (800FSB!!!) - 1024mb RAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb Video (With the biggest cooling fan allowed by U.S. law!)
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Will probably attempt this in 2008. Will let you know if we succeed.
Cheers,
Phil

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:28:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:28:24