Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Serious question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I happen to just run across this site and just wondering. Does DarkBasic Pro have any benefit to those people who already know how to program in C++ and Directx. Example can someone use Darkbasic as a quick start on their program and then go back and program everything in C++.

PaulJ
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 05:29 Edited at: 11th May 2003 05:35
No
DarkBASIC and C/C++ are completely different languages.

However, you can create DLLs that will work in DB.

DB has many benefits, but you would have to stop using C++ except for DLLs. It depends on what you need it for. It is not the best for programs or utilities, but it is great for games. DB is much easier to use. It has built in 3D commands, can load external media, and much more. Try it out and see for yourself.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
PaulJ
Years of Service
User Offline
ok my fault, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough has anyone used DarkBasic to create a game to see what it would look like visually and then code the game in C++ and DirectX?

PaulJ

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 07:09 Edited at: 11th May 2003 07:17
You could do that, but quite frankly, it is a waste of time. Not only would it take many times the work as just making it in DB, but you wold never get it exact unless you used the DLLs that DB uses, but then whats the point? DB has many built-in commands that would take alot of work to recreate in C++. Lee and the people at DBS have already done that for you. There really is no point in trying to make it in DB and C++.

If you still really want to, I think IanM has found a way to use DB commands in C++. I'm not sure where his topic is, so look for it.

I don't think you fully understand the difference between DB and C++. Unless you are really good in C++, it would be very hard to make a game of the same quality as DB. In DB, all you have to do is use a couple of commands to make an object, or move it around. In C++ you would have many lines of code to do the same thing. You should really try to use DB for a while to see how good it is.

Maybe I can understand better if you tell me why you want to.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 07:23:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 07:23:40