Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Removing The Shadow

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 23:27 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 23:28
Butterfingers suggested I repost here and as usual he has given good advice. He is also very gracious to ask me to post it. He could have done it himself -- and I wouldn't have minded.

Anyway, this all started with the fact that if you destroy an enemy character through scripting rather than through the normal way of shooting them to death, the shadow would still remain and it would look a scorched spot whereever they were standing at the time of their demise. It was finally concluded that there was no possible way to get rid of the shadow as it must be hard-coded into the engine.

Because I wanted to use the method of destroying a character I was determined to see what I could do even if there was a work-around. Well, that is exactly what I had found. I figured that the shadow must have been a decal. So that is where I searched and found it in an unlikely folder called "blob" and not shadow.

If you want to get rid of the shadow altogether all you have to do is replace the image file with a transparent image. The file is found here:

Quote: "files/gamecore/decal/blob"

There are two files, a DDS file and a PNG file. Surprisingly enough the PNG file works just as well so I created the transparent file as a PNG file. Be sure and copy the original image files and replace the blob.png file with the transparent one. I have provided one as a download you can use. BTW, the view part of this is not very interesting so no need to look.

I bet you did anyway.

As opposed to Highlander.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 18:41
Of course, if you have come up with your own shadow decal, then you can use that instead of a transparent decal.

As opposed to Highlander.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 12:17
nice one!

PocoRev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 15:04
ahh... thank you for this

Professional Atmospheric Skybox Textures