Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2D Arcade Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can someone help me? I need a coach. I have little programming knowledge. I need to create a 2D arcade game for school, and the project is due in a week on March 23 2007. Can someone please coach me through this, or can you give me a project to use until I learn more? I know how to create a screen, and load objects but that is about it.
Quisco DaLuse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 04:05
Little programming knowledge and 8 days to write a 2D arcade game? Pretty aggressive goal you have there, but you can do it if you set your mind to it (and don't mind putting the effort and time into it). Normally the best way to learn is to go through the many available tutorials offered by TGC. Because of the time constraints that you are under, you might be able to load some 2D games from the codebase and run them to see how the author programmed them. What type of arcade game are you thinking of doing?

You idiots! You've captured their stunt doubles!
Dreamslayer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a simple space ship shooter. Something very simple. About the time tell my teacher about it. I am taking Game Design, but we are learning how to design the stuff on our own. Do you know any links?
Dreamslayer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about double posting, but where is code base located?
Quisco DaLuse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 05:10
You can access the codebase by going to the TGC home site and pointing to the 'Community' box. A drop-down menu will have the codebase on the list. You also could look at the code snippets (click on the 'My Threads' down arrow above and the code snippets are in the menu). This should give you some code that could help you put a game together fairly quickly.

I made a Space Invaders game a while back that might give you some ideas. I have attached the code and media in a rar.zip file. If you do not have this program you will not be able to access it. The WinRar site is http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

You can download a trial version of Win.Rar there.

The game is probably 95% complete with mainly the top ten scoring to finish. Also, it is programmed for a joystick. If you want to use a keyboard, you could plug in the keypresses in place of the joystick commands.

I never did get around to putting in a keypress to mute the music during game play. This would be easy to do, I just never did it.

Hopefully these things will help you to get something together.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 01:21
Well... I have a pong game you could use...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 01:25
As for bein your coach... Ill teach you a simple pong game or the theory of it...
Make a ball and bat sprite...
Load them...
Make the bats move...
make the ball have a vertical and horizontal speed.
Make it so that if the ball hits the bat its horizontal speed is multiplyed by negative 1
Make score
Make losing...
Make sounds...
That's it!
Dreamslayer X
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be great if you could show me that. You guys are so helpful. Thanks.
Dreamslayer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Qoute: I made a Space Invaders game a while back that might give you some ideas. I have attached the code and media in a rar.zip file. If you do not have this program you will not be able to access it.

Quisco DaLuse

Also where can I find your shooter?
Quisco DaLuse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 00:56
Dreamslayer X - I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here. The code and media for my space invaders game are all together. I assume you know to click the download button on the post I made on March 15th. You can then save the files onto your hard drive. You will need the WinRar program to uncompress it (the files are compressed to save download time).

Let me know if your intent was something else.

Dreamslayer X
Years of Service
User Offline
The Space Invader game is great, and I successfully modified it. One question how did you learn how to do all that, and how do you place the sprites on the screen? I understand the positioning some what, but you game is good. Tips please.
Quisco DaLuse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 04:31
Dreamslayer X - you're too kind! I intended to put real planets in instead of the cheesy ones that are there, but I forgot and never did do it.

Anyway, the PLACE_STUFF subroutine takes care of the bulk of the placing of the aliens on screen. The GET_ALIEN_WH subroutine will get the basic setup for the particular level; i.e. level 1 has 7 aliens wide by 4 high, level 7 has 8 wide by 5 high. The rows of aliens are placed 48 pixels apart and the columns are 34 pixels apart.

Thanks for your comment. I learned to program largely on my own. They didn't have forums like this when I started. I enjoy programming and so I have stuck with it.

Good luck with your project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 19:13:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 19:13:32