Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How can you achieve more than 30fps when using "BSP" level files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All,

Has anybody here been able to load a BSP Level file and be able to get
a higher frame rate than 30fps ? :-s
Any information or an included code snippet showing the way would be very much appreciated!!!

Many Thank's in advance...

DoctorWho_3DGX
[href]http://3dgx.tripod.com
Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
What kind of video card do you have?

DoctorWho_3DGX
Years of Service
User Offline
GeForce 2 32meg DDR

Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
It might just be related to your vid card. Get a better one for more FPS. Also, Im sure there's ways to optimize things Im just not sure how to though.

DoctorWho_3DGX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It might just be related to your vid card. Get a better one for more FPS. "

I don't see how that would be the case here since I also happen to own
a copy of 3D GameStudio commercial Edition using the A5 Engine. I get
75fps using 3D GameStudio... So if im' achieving that kind of frame rate using 3D GameStudio.. Why can't DarkBasic Pro do the same thing using the same video card? And beside anyway.. Geforce 2 32meg DDR isn't what you would call a bad video card either.. The Geforce 2 video card will run almost every 3D application out there today on the market. I really don't think that it is my video card here in question.. I think the development team of DarkBasic Pro need's to check this out and try to figure out a way to achieve higher frame rates using the "BSP" level file formats.. Just my opinion though!

Best Regards,

DoctorWho_3DGX

matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:12
i get 75+ fps in bsp...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:30
Make sure you use SYNC RATE ON:SYNC RATE 0
Use SYNC only once per game loop
Tie all movements to the computer speed (using the timer)

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:38
... and don't use SCREEN FPS() more than once per sync. Additional calls will add to the number it reports.

ie. call once and you will get the proper fps, call twice and you will get double the number, call three times and you will get triple the number etc.
DoctorWho_3DGX
Years of Service
User Offline
BluNtMan n ChRoNiC Wrote:

Quote: "i get 75+ fps in bsp..."

ok.. So what kind of video card are you running in your machine?
I just started with DarkBasic Pro just a few day's ago & I loaded in
their example code for loading in a BSP level file and thus the FPS on screen was reading between 28fps to a max of 31fps.. What are you doing to achieve such a high frame rate anyway because I would love to know it to help correct this development problem I am currently suffering through right now!

MrTAToad Wrote:

Quote: "Make sure you use SYNC RATE ON:SYNC RATE 0
Use SYNC only once per game loop
Tie all movements to the computer speed (using the timer)
"

As mentioned above.. I have just started using DarkBasic Pro. Im' normally used to coding in 3D GameStudio. I wanted to get DarkBasic Pro due to a current project that needs to be developed in it! I started this by going through the examples in DarkBasic Pro and I was trying out the BSP example demo to see how it was done in DarkBasic Pro. I didn't change none of this code at all. I merly ran the code sample and when the level was loaded into the rendering scene it was showing only a max of around 31fps.. What would you suggest I do or check for to get a higher frame rate on my machine? I guess from the earlier message above DarkBasic Pro does seem to get a high frame rate then.. I was just wanting to pin-point this problem and see if it was the software doing this or if it might be on my side here. What kind of frame rates do you get with DarkBasic Pro when using BSP level files?

Best Regards,

DoctorWho_3DGX

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 17:47
You didn't originally say that you were using the demo programs, in which case you could make sure that you dont have any anti-aliasing/filtering on on your graphics card.

Next, get a new graphics card.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 20:29
Using the example that comes with DBPro, I get >1000 fps on my GeForce 4 Ti4800.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 02:38
"Using the example that comes with DBPro, I get >1000 fps on my GeForce 4 Ti4800.", come on, what resolution?

CTP
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 02:41
if you have the commerical copy of A5 why are you using DBP? A5 will run circles around DBP plus the commerical version has that beaam generator, it's sweet.

CTP
matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 03:56
i got geforce4 mx 440
nothing real high end at all
DoctorWho_3DGX
Years of Service
User Offline
CloseToPerfect Wrote:

Quote: "if you have the commerical copy of A5 why are you using DBP? A5 will run circles around DBP plus the commerical version has that beaam generator, it's sweet."

You might say Im' a collector... A collector of 3D game development packages and/or 3D Game Engines.. I wanted to see just how good DarkBasic Professional is and also to check out it's performance..
I must say though that DarkBasic pro is a great development package for the money that a person would invest for it!! However though.. 3D GameStudio Commercial Edition does offer other things that go with it that makes it a better choice for game development.. I still haven't seen a Level Editor created for DarkBasic Pro as of yet.. I do hear rumors of one that is supposed to be made someday though! I guess we will have to see huh? Anyway... There is a current game project that me & a buddy of mine are working on with DarkBasic Pro..

Best Regards,

DoctorWho_3DGX
http://3dgx.tripod.com

Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, I just ran the example talked about above and I must be having the same problem you do. I have a geforce 4 ti 4600 8x graphics card and the bsp example only runs at 50-60 fps. This is really unacceptable for my video card I think there must be a bug.

DoctorWho_3DGX
Years of Service
User Offline
Vandetta Wrote:

Quote: "Hmmm, I just ran the example talked about above and I must be having the same problem you do. I have a geforce 4 ti 4600 8x graphics card and the bsp example only runs at 50-60 fps. This is really unacceptable for my video card I think there must be a bug."

That's my point here!!! There has to be a bug somewhere in the engine because when I run 3D GameStudio A5 Commerical Edition.. I get 75+fps or higher! That's using: " Geforce 2 MX400 32meg DDR " video card.. Then when I run DarkBasic Pro with the BSP example demo.. I get only a max of 31fps.. No higher!!!! There's a bug in the engine's rendering algorithm somewhere.. I hope the DarkBasic Pro team find this bug real soon and correct it, Because this bug is causing me to have to re-think my strategy on this current game project of ours.. I might have to go over to 3D GameStdio instead to do this project because of this software bug in the engine..

Best Regards,

DoctorWho_3DGX
3DGX Entertainment, Inc.
http://3dgx.tripod.com

Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
You should try to get the developers attention to this post or just try to notify them of this possible bug so they can take care of it....at least you know your not the only one having the problem.

Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm this might be relevant, I read it off another forum post

Quote: "Well, for now there seems to be an issue with BSPs made from CShop. I haven't gotten any feedback from the DBS team, but if I load a quake3 BSP I get ~170+ fps. On a simple room made in CShop I get 17 fps. There is a big issue with the DBS BSP compiler. I hope they get this fixed when CShop 3 comes out."

DoctorWho_3DGX
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmm...

Thank's for the info.. Vandetta.
I will have to conduct an experiment on this with other BSP Level files and see this for myself! This is indeed very interesting here because according to your last message you wrote above, It would seem that the DarkBasic Pro BSP Compiler is causing the problems! It could be due to maybe the compiler not optimising the BSP tree properly. I will load in a Quake 2 BSP Level file and see how the FPS react on this.. If this ends up being the case here.. Then maybe it would be better for us all to use a different type of BSP Compiling program until the DarkBasic Team fix's this annoying problem! Many thank's in advance for your kind input though!

Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem glad I could help, post your results after experimenting a little bit I would like to know if that was just the problem. Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:07:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:07:47