Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newcomer in need of advice.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 17:30
I am getting bored with playing games so i thought why not learn to make them.

This is what i want :
At start i wanna build an iland to walk around on not being able to do anything just walk.
The end would be a robinson crusoe style iland. the player making stuff. (farfar in the future my goal for now is an iland.)
Means trees have to grow and change with the seazons

What programs would be best to start with.
Making an iland trees, plants and grass. (No texture grass).
Noob friendly. As simple to use and learn as possible, but not stopping me to advance later on.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 17:48
Wings 3D is probably the simplest modelling program to get to grips with. Its generally a good idea to stick with primitives however, until your game is playable. For an island use a sphere squished on the y axis, for trees use cylinders, for rocks use blocks, for a player use a vertically tall box, etc.

If you're completely new to programming (it sounds like this is the case) then even a simple "walk around an island" program may get a little confusing to you. Sure, you might understand the code if someone gave it to you, but Id recommend reading some of the more indepth tutorials before attempting it, so you can understand how to change the code to fit your needs as well.

Sabre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 18:30
A program to completely make the tree myself is a bit much i would be bussy for a 100 years only making the trees :/

Does DBP has programs like Blitzgrass And Blitztrees?
If yes then i just start with learning the basics of Darkbasic.
Then i prolly find out myself when it's time 2 start using them.
(especially the grassprogram would make an iland look nice.)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 23:34
Most models are made using a modeling program (like Milkshape), or a world building program (like 3D World Studio), or a terrain generating program (like Geoscape 3D) .

Here's a guide I wrote that may help you understand the basics of making games: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89180&b=7

And by the way, "iland" is spelled "island" .

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 23:48
I didnt say write a program to make a tree yourself, I said use primitive objects until the time comes that you need to focus on the graphics. DBP has primitive-object creation commands. So instead of loading in a model of a tree, you'd just use 1 cylinder using the MAKE OBJECT CYLINDER command.

XxX emerson lol xoxo
Years of Service
User Offline
Trees and grass a pretty easy to make. You can make a plane and texture it with a png that you could make transparent.

Hay, hay hay! I am teh besttorz! Did you know that 99% of all people are dummer then me??
Sabre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 17:41
Ok well the topic took a wrong turn with me wanting to plan ahead further then i could look. I desided to buy DBP and just start with that.

(And why is it spelled island when ya say iland :/ language is not really my thing)

thanx for the advice

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 19:19:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 19:19:27