Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Abscencia

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This is my first attempt at a 3D game, and it's being done for TSA (Technology Student Association). I've come across a ton of problems, a ton of issues, and a lot of obstacles trying to get this to work how I want it. I'm working with a group of two other people on this, and the regional competition is next week. We'll probably blow the competition away since it's beyond mere Flash and VisualBasic creations by people who have never touched programming before, but it still worries me. Progress has been extremely slow, but everything has been done from scratch.

Anyhow, it's generally a 3d platformer like Super Mario 64 and the likes, but the story is rather strange and somewhat based on the TSA competition itself. Being mixed in with highschool work and other TSA projects has slowed us all down a lot, hence the lack of progress since we started the project. I'll give more details tomorrow when I'm more awake. For now, here's a few screenshots and renders:

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 05:31
Good job.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 18:46
Kind of a unique style to your game, it is what sets a game apart from the rest. I really like your logo, very nice. My only current advice is to make your textures seem less repetitive, on your terrain in one of your screenies, it is very aparent that the texture is being reused, try to hide that somehow. You can do this by Using a different terrain system such as AT instead of matrices, or by hiding some of it with ground cover such as grass or shrubs (or whatever you populate your world with).

Perhaps someday I will make an actual contribution to this community
epithika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 21:46
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 22:45
Love the logo and the new improves character model. This game is gonna be top notch!

-Mansoor
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 23:48 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 03:56
Thanks. As for the textures, they seam because of the trim adjustment I had to do with the matrix. If I didn't trim like that, it'd show more than one texture on each tile due to the lovely bug in DBPro. Texturing and editing anything other than a matrix is incredibly bothersome though, and I don't have time to change the collision detection and everything else I've done with the terrain, so it's going to have to stay the way it is.

Now as for the story (the TSA references are in place due to my teacher harassing us to suck up to the judges), a girl named Rydia is sent from her planet to Earth for the TSA competition. Her method of transportation is done by building a flying pig and taking off toward Earth in space. On the way though, the pig's wings shatter and they crash onto the planet Abscencia. Though habitable, this planet is quite strange, and its environment is affected by the sun that remains in a constant eclipse.

All of the creatures on the planet are basically split segments, such as the Octopus boss above. After crashing onto the planet and recovering from the impact, Rydia and her pig travel very shortly and encounter a giant Octopus. After using a dodge-and- strategy, they defeat the boss. However, one of the tentacles latches onto Rydia and fuses with her hair, giving her a single tentacle as a weapon. This allows her to attack enemies, and is later used to help her travel to places that would be otherwise unreachable.

As for the pig, it helps Rydia in various ways, such as getting into small holes and traveling to far-off places, or used as a weight to press down switches alongside Rydia.

Finally, the main objective of the game is to collect the Pig's Wing pieces (such as stars in Super Mario 64) and fly off the planet.

My problem right now is finishing up some important development, and getting the Cartoon Shader to work right. The problem with the shader is that it goes into complete chaos with the edge polys on the current model, and my modeler and I have tried everything we can to fix it, but it does nothing except go insane, as shown here:

Anyone know what might be able to fix that? It's the Toon Shader by Evolved from the 2006 Free Shaders Pack. And no, theres nothing but the model itself there; all those extra black polys are generated by the shader, but incorrectly.
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
The intro video was finally finished and encoded, you can watch it here.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 05:50
Very nice.

The only thing is.... Near the end, when she is walking, she has the flying pig, then the camera goes to the front of her (facing her front) and she doesnt have the flying pig.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 13:24
Hehee. Another good modeller! Looks really kewl.

DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
We managed to get 1st place in the Regionals competition, now I just need to heavily reorganize the code, optimize some things, and really add to the content so it's more of a game. There isn't too much to it yet, so I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I just wish we could figure out why 3dsMax 8 won't export UVW mapping correctly.. we can't get textures to work on models at all.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 22:09
Cool.
Any chance of a demo coming out soon?

Cheers,

-db

"We arent terrible people.... Horses are terrible people." - Peter Griffin
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Not until I can get the new model's texture to work and I do more work on the game, but I'd say within a month I'll release a demo to the public.
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay! We found out theres a weird problem with exporting unmerged modifiers in 3dsmax, so now it works.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 22:02
u could use SET NORMALIZATION ON in the code start to get rid of those light bugs on objects..

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 00:02 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 00:03
Looks cool. What editor are you using for your matrix (If any... Using an editor would make it a lot easier)

DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 00:37 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 00:38
I made my own editor, actually. I kinda threw it together since I needed something simple, nothing particular professional.

Old screenshot:
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 01:42 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 01:43
Ah I see. Cool I made a similar editor. See the attached picture (its attached so it doesn't distract from the overall presentation of your game). Anyway good game so far. Hope to see it finished soon (I'll try the demo at some point, I can't tonight)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 04:33
Any updates?

Cheers,

-db

Albert Einstein believed that imagination is more important than knowledge.
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I'm still restitching the entire project into an object oriented fashion, and it's taking me awhile. I should have an update within the week though. Sorry for the wait.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:34:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:34:12