Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can Dark Basic load .dds picture files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 22:33
I bought dark shader yesterday and I started using it today. I also found out that it comes with extra cube sky maps. The thing is they are in .dds format. Can DBP read .dds? I want to use though sky maps with my dbp project.

gm07
Ankillito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 22:35
Yes.

"There will always be evil, for, without evil, the good shall lose their virtue."
game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 23:30 Edited at: 25th Mar 2007 23:32
The reason I was asking is because I am not sure if it is because of the type of file or if the problem is in my code. I made a code with a matrix and the matrix is textured. I also made fps style camera controls. These worked fine but I tried to make a sky sphere for the sky over the matrix. I used one of the skyspheres from dark matter. When I made the code that included the skysphere it ran but i could not see the matrix i made. It was just the regular blue background. The sky was not being shown. here is the code
How come both the skyshpere and the matrix don't show?
The matrix showed before i put these codes in it

gm07
Ankillito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 06:47
hmmm... I've never gotten that far, I'm fairly new to DBP. I just know that on the CD cover it says it supports .dds files.

"There will always be evil, for, without evil, the good shall lose their virtue."
game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 22:37
Ok I tried a different command to load a sky. I tried load image ".bmp",1
backdrop on
texture backdrop 1

but it said that code was obsolete and didn't let me use it. How come we cant use that code anymore? I don't think it is obsolete. It would be a whole lot easier than making sky boxes and sky spheres.

gm07
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 00:04
Well you positioned the skysphere at a y of 100, that's really high, so it's probably not in the camera's viewport.

game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 04:17 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 04:18
I got the skysphere working but for some resone the sky texture only shows on half of the sphere. It is the bottom half. Also I want to try
another way to make a sky. I used a pic of stars because I want it to look like night. Instead of using an actual pic is there anyway to generate in infinite starfield? You know like in space games. I also want to use it for a space sim I'm working on. The only starfield codes ive seen are either scrolling 2d stars or the warp effect stars. What I am looking for is a way to do something like that but with the stars still and not moving.

gm07
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 11:10
Ok, all the models that come with dark matter are pre textured, meaning that all you have to do is load the model and the textures will be in there correct places. In your code:

You can only texture one texture to an object. So when you texture object 2,2 then texture object 2,3 you've canceled out the first texture and it will be textured only with texture 3(sorry for the over use of texture). All you need to do is make sure the images are in the folder that the model your loading is and the just load the model in DBP, sould work fine.
game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 23:06
Ok I have it working,Finally. I put the texture in a sup folder and did what you said. Thanks sasuke and thanks evreyone for helping me. Hopefully I can get my game finished within the next few months. I don't need help with this question just wandering if it is possible. The type of game I am making is sorta like the battlefield games. It wont be pure jumping in and out of vehicles but rather some levels you
are on foot and others your mission is to get to your vehicle you get in it and then it loads to the next level but the level is say in space and your in a space fighter shooting aliens or something. My question is is it possible to load fps from fpsc and then have the space levels done in darkbasicpro all in the same game?

gm07

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 19:24:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 19:24:28