Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Buildings you can walk into?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a guy designing me some buildings for FPSC creator in exchange for a website I am going to design for him.

I am tried searching, but i have found nothing concrete regarding size scale that I need for him to use, so that I can directly export out to .x for inclusion.

Also, will I need to edit these designs into segments or is thier anyway to just place the buildings into the game that allow a person to walk into them?

Is their anything else I need to tell him in order to insure that these buildings will import directly into fpsc without problems?

I will be releasing these free to the forum when he is done.

Thanks for answering my questions.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Jeremiah,there are many,many issues with creating complete buildings for use in FPSC.
If the buildings are created using planes you will see thru' the walls when inside as engine does not force two sided,if you want to enter the buildings create walls using boxes.
You will find there are collision problems with enemies,which will fall thru' floors and walk thru' walls if the buildings are large.

The best way to use buildings is to create them as facades,you can remove unseen poly's to help framerates,and build the interiors using segments.
Check out the 'Urban decay' thread in showcase forum for an example of this.

You will need to have a good idea of what scale the entrances will have to accomodate the stock segment doors,unless you create your own animated doors.
Create your building facades as static entities at first so you can place them easily in the editor to get an idea of scale,the final facade is best if a segment tho' as this gives better collision.

To get an idea of scale import one of the stock wall and floor segments.

hope this helps, rolfy.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks rolfy, I will look into that. It should be possible to create the buildings and set a trigger zone / video zone that will show an animated door opening (i.e. resident evil) and then the person is just transported inside the building (that is created with segments) after the animation is done; correct?
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Holy crap, I took a look at the thread, wow you do amazing work!!!

I wish I had 1/20 your talent. How on earth did you learn to do such amazing texturing?
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
One last question, and sorry for all of the questions. I am going to try to learn how to model for myself, but I am a little dumb, but I was wondering what your opinion of blender is? blender.org-- it exports directly to .x
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 00:06
Quote: "Holy crap, I took a look at the thread, wow you do amazing work!!!

I wish I had 1/20 your talent. How on earth did you learn to do such amazing texturing? "

please queue up behind me. You don't get to praise rolfy by jumping line

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 00:24 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 00:25
Quote: "It should be possible to create the buildings and set a trigger zone / video zone that will show an animated door opening (i.e. resident evil) and then the person is just transported inside the building (that is created with segments) after the animation is done; correct?"

I meant an animated entity for the door,no need for cut scene,and build the segments inside the facade.
Best rolfy.

I dont use Blender myself,so cant help there.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
With texturing the buildings, I was looking at the tga and dds files and the images are all split up, how do you know how to seperated the sides of the images so that they will properly texture your item? Seems really complicated
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Uvw unwrap the model,there may be some tutorials available on these forums,I know Bond1 did a tut for characters using Max,same principle for architecture, only much easier.
There is also a free unwrapper called lithunwrap which although no longer available can still be found for download.There are other unwrapping tuts,I am pretty sure using uvmapper.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 00:54 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 00:55
Huh, so there is a program the just pulls the texture off your models and creates these tga dds files? That is interesting. I am learning more everyday.

Thanks.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Not exactly,it just lays out the uv faces so you can apply your textures,kinda like flattening a box.
jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 14:33
I remember someone did do this it was james hardy i think? most of his threads were locked as i can remember but he did make enitys like buildings that you can walk into.

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin.
Work in Progress...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:18:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:18:48