Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Rimia: Action FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 19:50 Edited at: 12th May 2007 15:12
Rimia

Action FPS

OK, this is set to be an action packed FPS, taking the persona of Tomb Raider meets Half Life!

We have some fairly original features, and a few good ideas (I hope!). I have put in so far 3 months of solid coding, and the length is so far totaling 2127 lines.

Our longest project and hopefully my best, I have a simple idea for a storyline that follows thus:
You are Rimia, a woman who has volunteered to join the GA(Government Agency ) in their fight against the "Syndicate".
The Syndicate are Space Pirates, who live by hijacking ships on their trips between mineral-rich Mars and Earth.

You are trained as an agent, but before you complete your training your Space Station is ambushed. You stow away aboard a Syndicate ship and the plot thickens...

(You end up turning against the GA to save the world from an evil time travel plot!)

FEATURES
Sneak Mode
Player Movement, shooting and Multiple weapons
Enemy 1 code
Levels 1 through 10
Blood and bullet hole decals
Enemy 2 code
Melee attacks with a sword
Grenades
Scripted Spawn points
Scripted AI
Load Game

TO DO

Enemy 3
Cinematic Clips
Levels up to 25
Collectable "Llama Beans"
Better models!

We estimate the game 60-70% complete.

I estimate that the code is now around 90% complet, I only need to add in a "melee" enemy, and then the collectables. Perhaps also some smoke?

When we finally release the game, it will (of course) be free!

Check out the website:
http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive/rimia.htm

**The demo is down. It does not work.**

The team so far consists of two deticated, hardworking people. If you want to join, just ask. You are welcome to. Your name will go into the credits for any significant contribution!

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:03 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 20:03
for some reason the images did not work, If anyone can fix this please, let me know!

Also, the uploading of the download (does that make sense?) failed, it's only 7 Mb, but the applet tells me it "exceeds the limit"?!

"Any help here would be hot!"-- Jar-Jar Binks!

Oh, and sorry for the double post!

I came, I saw, I conquered. The die is cast. It is not these well-fed long haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry looking. Et tu, Brute?
-The Man Himself
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:06
if you have no webspace, then try some one-click hoster like http://www.rapidshare.com

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:09
Apollo hates % marks in links,remove the spaces from the image names and it works.

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:10 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 20:11
no, I have webspace, or else how would I offer the website? I am talking about the download link on the forum!

Please, tell me what you think of the game...

Or how I can offer a download of a 7/8Mb .zip file!

I came, I saw, I conquered. The die is cast. It is not these well-fed long haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry looking. Et tu, Brute?
-The Man Himself
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:13
http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive/Rimia.exe
this link doesn't work by the way

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:51 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 21:01
Thanks Prince of Darkness! I will do that!

@ Escaped Ape: I will re-try uploading the game. So should I just link to it? Instead of trying to upload it here? I have to say though, the link will be to a "zip" file... Will that make a difference?

EDIT: OK, images working, will try to upload the game some other time. Just in case anyone wanted to know, I moddeled the levels in DeleD, the player arms are from DarkMatter as are the bad guys. However, these are just placeholders, until I spend some serious time on moddeling.

So, what do you think of the images?

-The Man Himself
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 00:09
zip oder rar file is very common in this forums, so this won't be a problem.
And for me it's no difference if you post a link to the file or upload it in via the forum, you just have to know if your traffic limit is high enough @ your own webspace.

The screenies look good so far, but it seems like the player( and enemys) are tiny in comparison to the environment.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 06:57
Quote: ""Syndicate".
The Syndicate are Space Pirates"

yes. yes we are.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 11:56 Edited at: 4th May 2007 21:46
hey, I didn't realise someone had already used that name... will have to change it!

@ Escaped Ape, I have had that comment before, next release of the demo it will be fixed. The only thing is, you can jump inhumanely high, so you may end up hitting you head on the ceiling!

also, (After edit 4th May 2007) I still can't upload the file! On my offline version of the website, I have all the links and everything working.

My only problem is still getting the upload to work! I simply can't upload the game! I will have to try it on a system with different configs to mine... (perhaps at school?)

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 04:46
The link is still broken. See the attachment button under the post box? Just use that. It shouldn't take this long to get it up.

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 21:59 Edited at: 9th Apr 2007 22:18
Yeah, I still can't work out the download thing... Sorry to drag this up but. Cough. I am still working on it.

I have scrapped the idea for a physics engine. I have been trying to make one for about a year and it is no small task. Bouncing never fails to elude me (working out the angles DAMIT!). SO, instead of things bouncing away I simply blow them up!

THis makes everything a whole lot easier. I have some simple particle explosion effects and some working debris from destroyed objects.

I have also completely finalised the tutorial level of the game.

I still need to:

# Enemies 2 & 3
# Cinematic Clips
# Levels up to 25
# Grenades
# Load Game
# Collectable "Llama Beans"
# A slick system of weapon interchanges and ammo storing.

Other updates include bug fixes and improving the quality of the blood effects.
Grenades are done and I now have a "slick system of ammo storing". I have done the first cinematic clip and I have also completed a melee attack with a sword.

So, all in all have done a lot of work!
edit: Hmmm. No one is interested as yet. You'll see!! You'll all see how amazing (cough) this is

09 April 07: I have added even more to the game! There

-The Man Himself
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 22:20 Edited at: 9th Apr 2007 22:21
OK, word order in my last post is kind of screwed up!

Would a video help? Because whatever I try that demo just don't work!

Oh, also changes to the storyline include:

A Space Station Crash, fighting through the pyramids of Egypt and far more besides! can't say too much for fear of ruining the game when it is finished!

-The Man Himself
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 12:13
Download on the site doesn't work. Upload it on a post here, or use a filesharing site like rapidshare. I'm pretty sure the file limit here is greater than 7 megs.
Looks like it might be a fun game, although it seems you've set yourself quite a lot of stuff to do. One minor thing is that you should increase the size of the collision objects for the enemies- one guy has his arm going through the other guy's chest!

You'll be able to click on this someday.
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I have changed the collision size.

I will re-do the website today. I have added in a second enemy, a turret, fixed the first enemy, added in a sword and also completed some explosive/destructable objects!

To do:
# Enemy 3
# Cinematic Clips
# Levels 10 to 25
# Load Game
# Collectable "Llama Beans" (or Roman artefacts not sure which!)

-The Man Himself
Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 14:17
I am the also helping with this project. Little things such as menus and trying to get some better models

it does need work, so if you do download it successfully (if not we'll get it sorted out soon!) we are open to suggestions about everything.

There are a few errors but there are a few i need to point out 2 my partner as well as improvements that we both must do

-There is the problem of collisions.
-you can also stick to the roof on a slope
-livening up the menu
-better modelling
There is a lot to do but i'm sure if we work as a team it shouldn't be too difficult.

Download it now!!

I'll be back before you can say "Antidisestablishmentarrianism"-Blackadder
"urm.. i don't think so.. Antidisestablism.. Anti.." Prince George
You'll all be KYKED!!
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 15:23 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 15:30
thanks sun god. Indeed, I look forward to seeing your first draft of the menu, should be a real winner!

Oh, and I was wondering if you wanted to work on the Space levels? In the spacestation, aboard ships etc. There needs to be about 10 of these.

I have already done the GA Space Station levels and I am working on the levels on Earth, so If you feel like it, could you do Mars and The Syndicate ship?

-The Man Himself
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! just updated the website (sorry to double post) I am testing a banner!

Because there is no such word as can't...
http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive/banner.jpg
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 22:49 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 21:44
Yeah!

OK, I know the banner is a bit rubbish

I will soon change it (after the chemistry test on tuesday I think!)

Any suggestions on what would be a good idea? I am OK at 2d graphics but no master!

Here are some new screenshots of the game:

The last screen is a sword?!?! Testiment to the fact that I suck at modeling!

Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 19:50
i've done the menu and it is ok but i am asking for ideas as i need something new and diffrent. what i have will suffice but i rely need an idea.............. hopefully we'll also have some better models for hands and certainly swords!!!

Also we still need a believable storyline..

And if you have got the game then please can you send reviews to either me or Julius via email.: Me: kinkleking@hotmail.co.uk
Partner... ask him!! thanks again.

dulce e decorum est pro patria morii.
A wise man in times of peace prepares for war-Homer
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, thanks Sun God. I actually have the storyline under wraps now, but I won't post it until we have finished the game!

My email is attached to the post I think.

What we really need is somenone who would be prepared to spend time making and animating characters. I can model static objects fine in DeleD, as can Sun God.

However, neither of us are particularly good at characters. Obviously we are still learning so we will be patient with anyone who wants to help out, even if the end result is not great.

The main problem is, as I say, animating, and I find that any projects I have worked on before boil down to that same key problem! So any help will be very well received!

Thanks!

Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 21:50
We are both bad at modelling but you must appreciate, Julius that a lot of effort goes into modelling and there is hardly any benefit. surely it would look out of place as well. Let's just stick to our improving models. i'm sure i can make some things a bit better.

Still need suggestions though if you have the game or just have seen the screenshots spread your view and email me on the adddress in my last post..

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 23:23 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 23:26
Have you tried a game called DeusEx(1) ?

looks nice enough by the way
(mail back on)

edit:
edit:
For some reason i really like those blue arms, hmm

easy comes easy goes
Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 14:35
Thanks for the comment. I haven't played Deus Ex before but have seen pics of it.

The blue arms are just a slight edit from the dark matter model, hence the reson we need better models from modellers.

Have you got any suggestions as we want people to download and review it for us. we can't get a link to work on our website, which is www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive
[href] www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive[/href]
which has all the informationm about our game.

thanks!!

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 21:23 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 22:29
As my partner says, visit our website (We are very proud of it!) we have another 2 members who intend to join the team soon, so this project is really gaining momentum!

We have one person (Jack Cunnington) who is prepared to do some static 3d models (No animations ) and another person (William Turner) who has recently written some awesome music for us!

Still need a character modeller though...

p.s Did I spell moddeler right? LOL spelt it differently twice!!

EDIT: Where has my banner gone?
EDIT: Oh... it's still there... weird?!...
EDIT: Nope... it's gone again!
EDIT: Hey it's back!
EDIT: Grrrr.... it disappeared again ... But, if my calculations are correct it should be there this time. Meaning I wont have to edit again...
EDIT: How about this time Apollo?
EDIT: Why? Why me?

Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 15:55
hey look at the website. it now contains videos of the game. they are also on youtube

Quote: "For some reason i really like those blue arms, hmm "

i'm very sorry to inform you that in the next 2-3 days they will be replaced any last words?

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive] [img] http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive/banner.jpg[/img]
[/url]
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, most of the 3d models in the game are just placeholders. Still, we can keep the textures if you like!

The videos are at the top of the page that Sun God posted.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 01:45
Looking really good! The videos really show how the engine is coming - very nice. Too bad the models don't do the same justice

DIGIROSS
Years of Service
User Offline
A good solid engine is half the battle. Content is alot easier to create. People will always curse a bad engine/game mechanics.

Mess with the best, die like the rest!
Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 20:48
Still i like thouse blue arms ! hehe..
But still im a dude who would have no problem in playing throug DeusEx or Anachronox one day again
(Acctualy never completed Anachronox, my comp crashed a few hours away from completing it! ah.)

blah blah

easy comes easy goes
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 21:38 Edited at: 4th May 2007 22:47
@ netsurfer, yeah! that's my argument!

Just watched the FPS creator X10 demo, and it does make you really want to give up! The graphics and engine look amazing!

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone! It had been a while, I wasn't sure if this thread was alive or not!

As yet, I am in the process of adding in a new level, in a canyon somewhere like Arizona. (Basically to prove that there will be outdoor levels too in the finished game!)

I have also added a new video, showing the changes in the HUD, movement and also showing the new (in progress) canyon level!

New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-7LSNOvCtA

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 04:43
For your explosions, try having them fade out as they grow, and some smoke would be nice (that hangs around longer). Your jumping seemed a bit weird...you seem to leap fifty feet, lol. Good work

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 20:42 Edited at: 7th May 2007 20:42
yeah, I dunno about fading the explosions, it would be kinda tricky to fade particles (thats all the explosions are!) but definately will have some smoke! I am currently working on some muzzle flashes for the player's guns.

As for the jumping, yeah, the game is kinda meant to be a platformer, so high jumping is essential to most of the puzzles. Perhaps I can think up some kind of story excuse as for why you can jump so ridiculously high?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Airslide, it's definately being taken into account!

As for an update... that canyon level is finally finished! It took me ages I know but I did add in a few switches, and teleporters and stuff so there is no surprise there! Also, I remoddled the sword, it's now based on a kinda Roman gladius.

@ Coder#5: I hate to say, I overrode the blue arms texture by accident! I will have to re-do it, but the arms will probably look a little different... sorry! lol!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 05:28
Can't particles fade? Cloth and particles pack, right? Hmmm...

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 21:46 Edited at: 12th May 2007 15:01
no... I have not used any expansion packs or plugins except sparky's collision. I am using native 3d particles.

If there is a way of doing in then by all means let me know!

**Update!**

I have added in muzzle flashes, they now work with a random texture each time. I have also made the camera shake when you are affected (or effected? which one is it!?) by an explosion.

I don't see a lot of traffic at the website... click my banner, or go to
there are videos there, and plenty of screenshots!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 01:54
I reccomend getting Extends or the Cloth and Particles pack for the explosions. DarkPhysics might work well too, but their particles are a bit less cooperative

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 21:13
Quote: "yes. yes we are"

I predicted Wiggett would say that, hehe. He's been working on that since the dawn of time, or at least since the Silurian period.

I must say I'm impressed with this project. Most people (myself included) opt out for FPSC, but you're giving it a serious go with an engine made from scratch, and that definitely has to be admired. I'll be keeping an eye on this project as you refine everything and make it look snazzier. Keep it up

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 14:58 Edited at: 12th May 2007 16:26
Thanks Matt Rock.

@ airslide: The whole idea of this project is to see what we can do with our OWN code, I don't want to just stick a whole bunch of standard libraries in. I am an indie developer, not a profit hunting organisation. I am in this to learn, not just to create something that will draw in the crowds! Thanks anyway!

Anyway, I have an update on the website [I am doing it now!] so I would reccomend you to check that out!

There is a new video on YouTube, about 2 mins long, showing off just about everything. We have a new model in progress for the enemies, a kind of robot thing, inspired by a mix of Robocop, and the full body suit from Halo. It is yet to be UV mapped, and still needs animation, but I am sure that our modeller will get that done in due course (he is using it as coursework for his art GCSE, so I am sure that will be an incentive!).

As far as code is concerned, I have not done that much. I am working on the gameplay side of levels, trying out new things with the engine (for example, I know that a WW1 trench level would work well with the engine, but after much trial, a huge landscape has been ruled out!)

A new level has been added to the game, whilst you are still aboard the GA ship.

Thanks!

There is now a new video on Youtube, have a look at it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWJtS10DMo

Here are a bunch of new images for you to look at, tell me what you think of the muzzle flashes, I am worried they look a bit comically massive!

And then here is a preview of that robot:

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 23:40
Quote: "The whole idea of this project is to see what we can do with our OWN code, I don't want to just stick a whole bunch of standard libraries in. I am an indie developer, not a profit hunting organisation. I am in this to learn, not just to create something that will draw in the crowds! Thanks anyway!"

Sound a bit harsh there, but I know you didn't mean it

I was going to say try alpha mapping, but that's for objects, and DBP's built-in-particles are seperate.

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 19:38 Edited at: 14th May 2007 19:44
@ airslide: sorry I don't mean to offend people it's just I do feel quite strongly about that aspect. And, your idea for explosions, I would really like to use a plane object, and gamma fade it out or whatever... Do you have any tips for doing explosions on plane objects?

Oh, and by the way, I just got some music from Will Turner, and it is good! So the game now has an origional soundtrack, so that helps!

Also, I was wondering, what do people think would be a cool logo? I am thinking of going for a kinda speaker/web type thing, like this, with a big R in the middle:

Thanks!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 01:06
For planes as particles, the basics are pretty easy. Create the plains needed for the explosion (each 'particle') and when the explosion occurs, place them there. You'll need to manage them so that they'll use the proper motion, then use set alpha mapping on [object],[amount] to fade them out (100 being full, 0 being invisible). It may be a bit of work, but it should turn out better than the default particles if you do it well.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 05:37
It's half a microphone and half a speaker. It has nothing to do with your game and you stole it from a company, so no, it is not a good logo.

The Core
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 13:41
Looks intresting ,you may want to work with the guns a little more tho. Its only because in the first shot i didnt know what was the gun or arm or whatever.

Looks great so far tho keep up the good work ile keep my eye on this

i'm E.T i have so much tech but yet i dont have a mobile phone! where is a land line when you need one
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
The right side doesnt look like a speaker

[link]"http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Dared1111/" my account on GGE[\link]
Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 13:01
I agree Dared1111 it looks nothing like a speaker. If you're "company" logo is original then surely you want iit to stay that way. It also has nothing to do wiv the game so its a bit pointless surely?

Thank god though the project is now getting towards the first release.
If possible we would like suggestions (from what you've seen) for the sequel. We are thinking along the lines of introducing the idea of dogfights in space, which i am working on at the moment, and then we hit our destination planet and It pans out as a RTS of some sort. It is only a rough plan and we are not sure whether we will go through with it or not. have any of you got any ideas??

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive] [img] http://www.freewebs.com/braude-interactive/banner.jpg[/img]
[/url]
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I would never use that logo! You guys got the wrong idea! I never made it myself, it was just the sort of wierd/modern look I was going for. The plan I had was more a kinda watering can sprinkler thing, but I thought the mesh effect might look kinda cool!

I said earlier that I didn't want to use too much that wasn't bespoke in the final game, and the logo fits under that catergory, I am sorry to see how quickly you lot like to tell people they are wrong, but obviously I wasn't clear enough! Sorry, I will say exactly what I mean in future! I am still working on the logo image. I just wanted to know what people thought of that idea. Anyway, its an image. Not so important!

@airslide: what is important to me is that explosion idea you speak of! Thanks a lot! I will get to that straight away. I suppose I could draw one big explosion and fade that out with an animation on, rather than having tonnes of polygons... would that work? If so, How would I apply an animated, (probably Gif) texture to a plain object?

@ The core: Don't you worry! The arms and guns will all change, the sword is the only finished weapon!

Thanks for the constructive criticism all!

Sun God
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 20:26
OK we're still in the process of designing the logo.

Just a thought,everybody, i would just like to know, when we do release rimia as an alpha version, who would be interested. We really would like to know whether you would try it or not. We would ask though that you write a short review on it and how it can be improved.
If you can post here about your ideas it would be really appreciated.
thanks everyone!!

[/url]
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 22:19 Edited at: 23rd May 2007 20:54
Also, we are still having issues regarding uploading the game. I have no idea of how to do it, so I would be prepared to email it to anyone who wants it, or to someone (more capable than myself) who could upload it!

I can code HTML basics, but when it comes to uploading and anything else to do with the web, I am upsettingly un-savvy!

Thanks!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 03:39
Try filefront or the forum itself to upload it, depending on size. And I'd be interested in trying it

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the forum itself and the applet crashed (3 times, after that I gave up!). I will go to filefront now! Thanks for all your help so far Airslide!

I will e-mail you with it once I get it on this computer!

Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:30