Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Immediate (Realtime) Window

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 10:58
Hello,

I seem to remember when DarkBASIC first appeared on the scene many years ago, that it had a cool feature whereby the user could enter commands in a sort of immediate window and the result would be reflected in the main graphical window in real-time; allowing for easy pre-viz, or prototyping on functionality.

Looking at all the screenshots, feature lists, etc. on DarkBASIC (and DarkBASIC Pro), I cannot see anything that remotely looks like this functionality.

Has this been removed from the later versions of the product?

any information regarding this would be appreciated.
Torq
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot do this in DBP. You have to stop the program if you wish to edit the code. I believe DBC is the same but I am not sure.

Whats the RED button for ?

http://badtempergames.tripod.com
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
One way you could do something like this would be to have your code scripted. You code then update variables in a file and re-initialize the code, say with a update button.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 02:28
Which would involve scripting all of dark basic's commands along with common programming principles.

Enter Zotoaster.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 14:14
mr_d, the CLI, as it is called, is still available in DBC, as far as I know. DBP I've got no idea about.

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 17:54
thanks everyone who responded, and the_rami for the info on DBC, I was hoping for this functionality in DBP. the closest i can find is to break into the debugger while in the main game loop; this isn't very pretty and is very limited.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 06:48
It's not available in DB Pro because it creates compiled exe's - unlike DBC which is sort of interpreted, allowing you to break in and use the CLI mid-flight.

TDK_Man

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 08:38 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 08:39
Quote: "Enter Zotoaster"

I didn't hear him knock... ?

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 19:24:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 19:24:19