Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Right, I am a complete newbie to DBPro. I have experience in other programming languages... but how did all the experts here get started? I just can't seem to get to grips with it somehow, whereas...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 23:19
Right, I am a complete newbie to DBPro. I have experience in other programming languages... but how did all the experts here get started? I just can't seem to get to grips with it somehow, whereas I've picked up Delphi and Visual Basic within days.

http://www.ciphersoftware.co.uk/
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 01:44
check out these tutorials, DB is pretty simple once you get the basic concepts, and especially compared to other programming languages .
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68702&b=7

Clackersmith
Years of Service
User Offline
As Gil Galvanti has pointed out DB is pretty simple once you understand the basics. Hock into a few of the tutorials that are on the forums and it should be all smooth sailing from there.....well as smooth as it can be I guess

The inadequacies of human cognitive ability are cause for the imperfection of reality.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 23:28
Wow! Long topic title! Look through the index it shows all the commands and look through and study the examples.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 09:55
Quote: "Wow! Long topic title! Look through the index it shows all the commands and look through and study the examples."

JSG why dont u do that too? maybe it would stop the 100's of useless posts we see...

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 10:51
Quote: "JSG why dont u do that too? maybe it would stop the 100's of useless posts we see...
"

I think it is his first post at this forum, all quite new

I am awesome and always right.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 22:34
Quote: "JSG why dont u do that too? maybe it would stop the 100's of useless posts we see..."

That was not appropriate at all.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7950GT 512MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 1GB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 22:39
No that was not that is exactly what I did. You can't judge a person by his questions.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 00:25 Edited at: 4th Apr 2007 17:27
I wouldn't call myself an expert (yet), but I started with Ruccus's FPS tutorial, it's great. (Don't forget to look at my Pac-Man tutorial too though. )

Quote: "You can't judge a person by his questions."

Yes you can. Questions like "h0w d0 u m4x3 4 64M3" (translation: "How do you make a game?") really say things about a person.

By reading this sentence you have given me brief control of your mind.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 00:47
Cipher, please keep your subjects a little more concise

Everyone else...please be gentle with newcomers, we all have to start somewhere.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 16:35
Quote: "Yes you can. Questions like "h0w d0 u m4x3 4 64M3" (translation: "How do you make a game?") really say things about a person."

That would be only one word, HACKER.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 17:38
it's not hacking to replace letters with numbers... but the whole leetspeak thing is pointless... as demonstrated, it's a lot easier to read "how do you make a game" than it is to read "h0w d0 u m4x3 4 64M3" why write numbers in words when you can write properly? attention seeking kiddies usually, trying to attract attention

anyway, yes you can judge a person by questions they ask, but on topic, you should be able to get started easily if you follow the programming principles bit in the help page. I've just had to learn java at uni, and only right at the end of the year did we touch graphics. Master the different data types, and how to read and print them... then perhaps try graphics...

Learning isn't always exciting, but always well worth it... Good luck with your programming.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 20:06
Quit Acting like a bunch of children.

Now, back on topic. I started in dbpro by totally immersing myself in the help files, tutorials and grabbing everything I could from code snippets to learn how to do things. I may not have understood how the examples worked at first but by tweaking variables, I came to a general understanding of how other people's work worked.

I came from a strong programming background to start with so many concepts were second nature to me, however I had to learn all of the 3D stuff such as vectors, vertices, the differences between cloning and instancing, the different rotation types, limbs, culling etc. Everyone learns differently, and I learn best by seeing and doing.

So if you are familiar with programming but not 3d or 3d maths, then I suggest you spend your time focusing on those. Learn to use some sort of UI to provide realtime feedback for your results, I suggest bluegui as it allows for quick and easy I/O (It does cost $20 I think though).

All said and done, set a goal. Perhaps it is to make a simple object placement applet, or it may be a simple game. Get started on it and work with small chunks of code. Once you know the small chunks work correctly, then group them together in larger chunks via modulization/functions.

Terrain Generation has a whole new face.
Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 07:13
@Cipher Software

I first saw BASIC code in a handout from a physics professor a long time ago. My first program was keyed in on a TTY and saved on paper tape for later loading.

I love you all. You may all be newbies, but then again, I am old.

Start, run, never stop. Hey, check my joined date. New is always new.

Whatever...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hammaman
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cipher,

To answer your question, I would ask "What did you buy DBPro to do?".

If it was to write games generally, then I'd start off with a 2D game (e.g. remake of a classic) to get to grips with how DBPro works.

If it was to write a specific type of game (e.g first person shooter), then start there. Use these forums to see what others have already done. There is a wealth of material in the forums to assist you - but I personally try to avoid copying and pasting large amounts of code unless I fully understand what they are doing (otherwise, I don't feel I'm learning anything).

One other tip (that is mentioned over and over again on these forums) is to plan your program - this could be a diagram of the program flow such as: starting screen -> menu screen -> game loop -> end, with additional information around it. I tend to focus on the code side, adding proper graphics and music once the code works properly, but you (and others) may approach it differently.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 21:27:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 21:27:07