Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Little Village From Hell

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 22:56 Edited at: 9th Apr 2007 13:59
This is my miniature RPG. Storyline is simple, dwarf searching for his brother comes across a village that when he enters he can't escape, discovering that it is forever linked to a hell dimension through a portal in its well (its really just there as a facet of me creating an RPG).

Movement with animations playing cleanly
Particle effects for smoking chimneys
Statistic system working fine with custom data types
Collision working perfectly
Inventory system working with equiping items but have a few bugs to iron out.

Once i get those problems sorted i will be creating the battle system which should be simple enough. I will then implement conversations and the general storyline, and saving and loading obviously.

See screenshots, all media comes from various places such as psionic3d and turbosquid and dbpro textures for the grass.

keep the addiction healthy
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 23:40
Wow, looks pretty good. You weren't kidding when you said little villiage. Any chance of it getting bigger?

healthyaddiction
Years of Service
User Offline
Well at the moment i want to create this mini RPG. Then i may use the engine of it to develop a larger RPG. First i target completing this miniature one.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 23:46
Looks pretty darn good so far! But seriously, why would they have hospitals in hell?

healthyaddiction
Years of Service
User Offline
demons can hurt too ...

Also its kind of like a twisted version of the village so ... demons can hurt too ...

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 11:20
The smoke transparencies need to be fixed but other than that it looks like a very reasonable start.

healthyaddiction
Years of Service
User Offline
Get where you are coming from with the smoke transparencies but its the best effect i could get with that smoke texture, maybe a new texture would be a better choice. I still am chuffed with the effect myself.

Also just fixed the collision problem i was having. w00t.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 16:33
Are you using ghosting or transparency? I generally use ghosting+z-sorting and the effect is good.

Come see the WIP!
healthyaddiction
Years of Service
User Offline
i am setting both ghosting and transparency. What do you mean by z-sorting?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 21:12
Well I often use 'disable object zwrite' on my particle objects. That my be what he means.

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 22:34
Looks good by now. The Dwarf model is really good, while the smoke from the chimney is a bit too pixelated IMO.

You are wise to start with a little project, too many people wants to create the final WOW like MMORPG as their first project

Visit my new website: http://www.maskedbear.com
healthyaddiction
Years of Service
User Offline
actually starting using dark basic in 2001 but haven't for about a year. The smoke effect isn't so bad in game. Tried to fix it but haven't been able to. If anyone has a great smoke image i can use for the effect then i would definately appreciate it.

Thanks.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 13:07
I don't like to disable the Z-depth on the particles. That just stops them from fighting with the scenery, but not with each other. The real problem is that they'll appear in front of everything. This isn't so bad for 3rd person, but it's not usable in 1st person. In 3rd person it presents a problem when the particles are under something, like a bridge or a roof, or obscured by a character.

I use the original Cloth and Particles pack, because it is by far the most powerful and well developed particle pack available. In that, you can chose to z-sort the particles, or not. Z-sorting takes more processor, but looks better.

What are you using for your particles?

Come see the WIP!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 15:24
Hey Cash. Do you have link for the orginal Cloth and Particles pack im very instreted on Z-Sorting!

healthyaddiction
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm just using textures plains using a clack and white image which becomes more white near the centre and some simple code to make them appear and disperse.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 16:31
Quote: "I don't like to disable the Z-depth on the particles."

No, neither would I. Disabling the Z-Depth is quite different to disabling the Z-Write.

DISABLE OBJECT ZWRITE

This command will disable the Z write state of the object. The Z write state controls whether each pixel of
the rendered object writes into the Z depth buffer. The default value is enabled, where the object writes
pixels to the Z buffer only when a pixel of the object is successfully rendered to the screen. By
deactivating this behaviour, the object does not affect the depth information on the rendered screen.

DISABLE OBJECT ZDEPTH

This command will make the specified object ignore the Zdepth data and render to the screen over
standard polygons. This command is useful for ensuring your FPS Gun will not poke through walls when you
get too close.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 06:00
Looks sweet. Second screeny looks nicer. Bright sunshine looks a bit wrong without shadows.
Thanks The_Coder- i never really got what all that stuff was about before. What about Zread though?

You'll be able to click on this someday.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 20:10
DISABLE OBJECT ZREAD

This command will disable the Z read state of the object. The Z read state controls whether each pixel of
the rendered object obeys the rule of Z buffer depth culling. The default value is enabled, where the
object will only render pixels of the object that are above any previous pixels rendered to the screen. By
disabling this state, all pixels are rendered whether they occur behind prior pixels or not.

I just copied those all out of the help files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:30:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:30:48