Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Super-tiny custom entities?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 04:56
I created a cage light, (Simple .X model with a basic texture.). I resized and rotated it according to the wall light in MP3, made it the same size, and used the same FPE thing, just with different paths and different names.

When I got ingame, the wall light was normal size, but my wall light was the size of a pebble. I pressed page up, and the model worked fine, texture and all, but it was super small. Worked ingame, when I used the sniper rifle to zoom in standing 2 feet away from the wall.

I tried putting the scale to 1000 instead of 100, no change, then 10000 instead of 100, no change, then even 10, and -100, and no change in size.

I used the Milkshape 3d DirectX(JT) exporter, and imported the wall light with the Direct X mesh tools.

Can anyone help me fix this?

The true process of evolution, from dumbest to smartest.
Single-cell organism, multi-celled organism, human, dog, rock, (1 septillion things), cat.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 07:56 Edited at: 12th Apr 2007 07:56
After you scale something in the editor, you need to set the new scale transform. I don't know how it's done in MS3D though.

In 3ds Max, you scale the mesh to the proper size based on a reference (like you did), then you need to lock in the new scale. I do this by creating a plane mesh at 0,0,0 and attach the scaled mesh to it. Then delete all the faces of the plane. The scaled mesh inherits the transform data from the plane and all's good on import.

It doesn't make much sense that adjusting the scale in the FPE didn't work though. hmmmmm

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 08:49
I have an idea - I am going to try to save it with the directX mesh tools.

Single-cell organism, multi-celled organism, human, dog, rock, (1 septillion things), cat.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 09:27
If you change the scale in the .fpe file make sure you delete the .bin and .dbo files for the model in question...it's usually a good idea any time you make changes to a model in FPSC.
FPSC will just make new .bin and .dbo files when you use the model in FPSC again.
To change the scale of the whole model in Milkshape click edit\select all.
Then click the scale button and put in the numerical info.
Check the settings on the exporter and make sure you have the right direct x exporter...there are at least two

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 13:09
I'm down with fred, I don't think you deleted the DBO.

Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 02:54
also try closing and reopening FPSC. i often need to do that for changes to work.

best of the rest!
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 06:39 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 06:39
None of the above worked. The textures, uv mappings, and everything work, but they are super small.

Maybe Duke Nukem is sneaking around with a shrinkray?

Red Stone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 07:01
Try getting magicFPS helps a lot with scaling objects other than that I have nothing to suggest

MagicFPS - http://www.uberdroid.com/fastfps/

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 09:06 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 09:07
MagicFPS is a segment editor. I am doing plain map entities, like crates, boxes, lights, ect. I just bought DBPro, for source editing (It ROCKS so far!), and don't have any money left for a while.

But thanks for the link, I may want that later.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 23:07
Quote: "I don't think you deleted the DBO."

Isn't the .bin file the result of the .fpe, and the .dbo the result of the .x?

evil lies within all of us...we just don't know it yet

www.freewebs.com/3dfpsc
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 00:14
I don't know, but I tried doing what the people above said earlier.

I use Milkshape 3d V1.8.0. I would usually use blender too, but this time it was a quick test on lights and immobile dynamic lightbulbs (Non-shadow casting).

Can DBPro help? I can read that language like a book, and I have never seen BASIC before. (I bought DBPro because I don't feel like buying DB Basic when I have the money for DBPro)

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 11:03
Quote: "MagicFPS is a segment editor. I am doing plain map entities, like crates, boxes, lights, ect."

No, MagicFPS is an entity editor as well, except it only resizes or deforms the entity, and can apply different material properties and textures to them. This might be what you need, it's always worked for me.

<insert pun here> Yes! I Got one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:40:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:40:41