Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I want to construct educational games.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't really have to build 3D games. They can just be 2D, with maybe some sound effects, etc.

An example would be a spelling pattern game similar to Text Twist where the player can select letters or groups of letters, shuffle the letters if wanted, etc.

Would DBpro be an appropriately platform to accomplish more basic gaming design like this??

Thanks
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 19:28
It's been done many times. WordTris was a letters game, where you had to drop letters to make words. WordTrix was another variation.

I'm working on a multiplication game at the moment.

Somebody once made a painting game, for colour recognition.

So the answer is Yes, it's suitable.
Goodfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a bunch for your response. That spelling game is just one example. Perhaps I could give you another and you could comment.

I saw in the ad for DBPro where that showed a demo for a 3D Mahjong game that you could construct on the software. Let's say I wanted to make that 3D game, but instead of the tiles having pictures on them, they would have multiplication facts on them that you had to match the problem with the correct answer. Or maybe a variation such as that. And the game had a timer that counted down the time. And on each level, the timer would get faster. And the game would keep score, and maybe keep the high scores, average scores per player, etc.
Is this type of game something that could be done on DBPro without being an expert programmer?

These are just a couple examples of about a THOUSAND ideas that I have for designing my own educational games. Not really for commercial value, just to use in my school. I want something that's fairly easy to use, or at least learn, can be colorful, maybe basic 3D stuff might be nice, with the capability to add sound effects functionally.
Are these attributes that DBPro could achieve in your opinion. Once again, I appreciate your input on this subject.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 07:13 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 07:19
Almost anything can be created as long as you give enough effort into creating it and learning the language. It is one of the easiest languages out here, and has the same kind of flexibility as more commercially used language, so I'd definitely at least give it a try . Any type of game can be made, including the education games you have in mind, with the effort put into it, and your ideas sound simple enough. Download the demo and give it a try, see if it's what your looking for, look at some tutorials. If your using this for a school, all I can say is I wish I had gone to a school like yours . Good luck.

EDIT: To give you a bit more info on programming itself, in case your not sure as to what it involves. It's really just taking things down to the basics. For example, your multiplication game. You would need boxes for the tiles. So you construct a 3D box, if using primitive objects to DBP, then it'd only be one command, "make object cube [object number], [x size], [y size], [z size]". Other wise you can create the box in a separate program with the texture on it (a number, multiplication sign, or whatever else). You are constructing the game from the bottom up, which makes anything possible, with computer technical limitations of course. All the "pieces" of the puzzle are given to you, you just have to figure out how to construct it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and if you would like to give me a more specific example of a game, I can walk you through the theory on how to go about making it if you'd like .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 21:16:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 21:16:48