Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Questions about Patching DB Pro Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 12:50 Edited at: 15th Apr 2007 12:52
I’ve been sticking with DBC for a while now, decided it’s finally time to try my hand at Pro.
(I own the CD version of both )

(Question #1)
When I’m installing DarkBASIC Professional Editor Upgrade 1.0.9 when it asks where to install the update to do I apply it to the DarkBASIC Pro directory or the DarkBASIC Pro/Editor directory?

(Question #2)
DarkBASIC Professional Editor Upgrade 1.0.9’s list of changes mentions

Issues Still to be Resolved:
- Sporadic Crashes in Assistant Mode Window and Help Window (HTML window issues)
- Verify project and source saving issues. (file overwriting, folder consistency issues.)

Are these fixed in DarkBASIC Professional Editor Upgrade 1.0.9.2?

If not, what should I avoid doing to prevent/sidestep causing the editor to crash.

Also, what does the second known issue mean? Is there somewhere that explains that in greater detail?

When I dream,
I carry a sword in one hand,
a gun in the other...
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 17:18 Edited at: 15th Apr 2007 17:20
1. Im pretty sure you specify dark basic pro's main directory (usually C:/Program Files/The Game Creators/Dark Basic Pro).

2. No they havent been fixed yet, and chances are wont, since the default IDE's source doesnt belong to TGC. Id recommend getting Code Surge IDE.

3. Sproadic Crashes I havent experienced but whenever you're using the default IDE, its always a good idea to a) do save all's frequently, b) copy your updated code into a notepad text file, and c) copy all of the code in your project before opening up a new project.

4. The main problems with saving are that sometimes, even if you've save all'ed and all that good stuff, it just doesnt want to save, and all your code is gone. I use the default IDE a lot, and Ive found this is the best way to fix all of this:

a) Create a new project
b) Write a comment on the first line, like `Game Code or something.
c) Do file > save project as, file > save source as, then go to the project manager and save the executable in wherever your project is, then do a file > save all. Now re-open this project (file > open recent), if the comment line is still there, you're good to go, and you can just use 1 save all whenever you feel like it from there on in to save your code, and it'll save properly. If its not there, you did something wrong probably.
d) Double compiling is bad. Dont do it, and you wont get into problems. Double compiling is basically compiling your project / running it, then compiling it again and running it while the original compilation is running. This forces Dark Basic to create a temporary exe file in the windows temp folder, and it then saves your project path to that temp folder. Now whenever you save your code will be saved in the temp folder and deleted soon after. Instead of double compiling, just have Windows Explorer open with your game folder open, and click the game executable if you want another instance of your game running (maybe for multiplayer testing).

To fix the problem in d, you'll have to copy all the code in your project, reopen the project, replace the code in the project with your new code, and redo the steps in part c.

A lot of hassle... Id recommend just getting Code Surge. Either way you should still always make backs ups of your code.

Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 10:55 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 10:57
Thanks for the advice.
I'll snag a copy of CodeSurge.

Is there anything I should watch out for while using CodeSurge?

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 01:35
Quote: "Is there anything I should watch out for while using CodeSurge?"

Once you install CodeSurge, each time you use the default IDE, God kills a kitten.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 10:09 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 10:11
Uh Oh!

I'll be deleting the Default-Editor Shortcut from the desktop then...

Best to be on the safe side.

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 09:35 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 09:37
Ack, two more questions arise!

1) When I installed DarkBASIC Professional Editor Upgrade 1.0.9 It created an Editor.exe file in the 'Dark Basic Software\DBP\' Directory. The previous version seems to still exist in 'Dark Basic Software\DBP\Editor\' Is there anyway to tell which version is being used/launched when I run DBP's default Editor?

2) Is CodeSurge affected by updating the default Editor in anyway?
(Do I need to update the default Editor to use CodeSurge to 100% effectiveness.)

Getting DBP fully patched and running is taking longer then I had expected.

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 07:18
1: Not sure.

2: CodeSurge isn't affected in anyway by what you do to the default IDE.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 14:31 Edited at: 24th Apr 2007 14:32
In that case I think I'll side step patching the DBP Editor and go straight to using CodeSurge.

I'd like to have everything up to date before I start using DBP,
but since I'm not going to be using the default Editor I guess I can ignore it.

Thanks for the help.

When I dream,
a gun in the other...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 21:30:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 21:30:34