Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Good FPS Rate?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 22:21
I want to know what could be a great FPS rate. Actually, SCREEN FPS() can be as low as 100 for the game I'm working on and as high as 120. Is that great or should I look to speed it up?

My fear is that it's gonna be a mutliplayer game, so actually I am the only one on it but later, when there's gonna be a few players on it, I do suppose that the FPS will slow down even more..

A few tips for me, please?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 23:08 Edited at: 15th Apr 2007 23:09
FPS (Frames Per Second) is the number of screen updates your computer can handle in one second and the value returned depends on the specification of the computer the program is run on.

The Sync Rate command allows you to 'cap' the refresh rate, so using

Sync Rate 60

will restrict it to approximately 60 frames per second on all machines where it's capable of being much higher. Obviously, on machines not capable of 60 fps then this command is of no use and the actual rate will be lower.

Sync Rate 0

turns off this capping and it will max out at whatever rate the machine is capable of.

I would suggest that 60 is a reasonable value to aim for if you want reasonably smooth action, though where you want a game to run the same speed on all machines, you should use Sync's based on a timer.

TDK_Man

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 00:49
Thanks, TDK. It's even a better answer that I expect hehe

And sorry for my english if you have trouble to understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 21:21:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 21:21:57