Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Stroids

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 04:19 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 17:29
This is my side project that I'm not too focused on overall, just something on the side as I work on Abscencia. So far I've basically just got an engine benchmark program, and not-so-great AI. Also until I can optimize collision between bullets and enemies, I won't add any extra special effects. At the moment I'm using vectors to check distance.

My goal with this side project was to practice object oriented programming so I can organize my code better, and I'm trying to make a game out of it without using any external media. So far it's doing alright, but lacks an actual 'game' until I have menus, scoring, player death, etc.

Use arrow keys to move, spacebar to fire, and 1-4 to change gun.

Download here!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 04:32
Looks good. I'll try it out in a few seconds...

Cheers,

-db

Albert Einstein believed that imagination is more important than knowledge.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 04:35
Looks nice. I got an error message (which i was not able to cut and paste) which reads:

Stroids: Stroids.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_31.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 04:37 Edited at: 16th Apr 2007 04:38
You'll probably need to update DX to a recent 9.0c version, unfortunately.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 05:01
Works fine for me, just a couple of suggestions:
1. When shooting, the bullets should go at the same speed you are going + the normal speed of the bullets, as that would be much more realistic.

2. You shouldnt go out of bounds, and neither should the enemy.

Good work though.

Cheers,

-db

Albert Einstein believed that imagination is more important than knowledge.
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I was going to fix/add those calculations, but I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Theres also a de-celeration bug that causes you to move at an upwards of infinite speed that I haven't figured out yet. I'll find some time to work on those though, just been busy with work and school lately.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 05:48
I managed to get it working! Tried downloading latest direct x but got some wierd error about "cabinet files". I googled the dll and downloaded it from "www.dll-files.com", (aparrently some dlls aren't standard to direct x) and it runs fine now.

Nice game. Very smooth. Nice selection of weapons. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 07:13
Pretty cool game, runs fast. If you're interested in object oriented programming, you might want to check out my wip thread here
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99578&b=8

Who needs a signature?
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest I used to hate OOP, but lately I've found it satisfying and necessary. I may take a look at that, but I'm still a bit new to OOP. Thanks.
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Enemies now have vectorized graphics, first drawn then textured as they're generated. See first post for a screenshot example.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 17:41
Nice. Are those ghosted plains?
Having the player as a pentagon like that makes it a bit to tell where you're pointing though.

DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Not ghosted, just alpha transparency of 255,0,255. And yeah, I need to adjust the shape of the pentagon so the front point is extended more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:23:56