Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / *+*+New FPSC Biped*+*+ Pics/Vid/Info

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 01:26 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 02:32
Youtube video link at bottom of post
Ok, so I've been thinking of doing this for a while, so I finally settled down today with a kings supply of coffee (and other stuff), and spent 8 hours doing this.

It's the standard FPSC biped, but with the pistol animations modded so that the character holds weapons in a more "gangster", one handed pose. It works with static, run, strafe, and idle animations, and looks sick!!

I've only just got a character mesh rigged to it and put it FPSC, so it's VERY rough around the edges. This is of course not the new bipeds fault, it's more a case of me taking more care with the rigging, I just figured you guys would rather see a gangster Actually firing an Uzi one handed, than a WMV of a Milkshape skeleton with one arm in front of him.

Doing this has made me realise a whole bunch of other possibilities for FPSC, and so I'm going to create around 5 new bipeds for Contrast, each suited to a weapon, or character type not yet covered by the FPSC biped..

The next will be a melee set of animations, with a swing anim, so that enemies could (finally) use the melee weapons on Jon's pack, or the Katana in EAI's eagerly awaited new pack.

After that I figured I'd go for some more natural weapon anims, as the current ones make all enemies look like trained marines.

Finally, I'm gonna attempt a matrix biped, with a windmill/butterfly jump for the strafe anims.

Anyway, enough ranting, here are some pretty pictures:

Video is currently uploading to YouTube, but if you're really impatient, I'm sticking it in the download...

I really would appreciate comments and crit, but not only on the biped/concept, please no comments on mesh deforms etc, as I've already said that the rigging of the mesh to the biped was only a quickie.

+EDIT+
Video (much smaller) available at youtube - click death -

+DOUBLE EDIT+
Where are my manners, a big thanks to FredP for his advice, helped me sort out the curse of the missing UV map....thanks Fred...gotta say it aint fun being a milkshape noob.[i]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 01:41
You're welcome Butters.I know how it feels.I had to read a bunch of tuts on animating in Milkshape before I could actually do it...and then I swear the first time I did it by accident...but after that it wasn't so bad.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds delightful. Email me if you could use a VWEAP mesh or two for testing.
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 02:29 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 02:36
sounds good. nice video description and tags
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 02:43
Nice video.I like the black and white as well.Few people actually know what a pain it is to rig and animate a character for FPSC and how time consuming it is.Good work.

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 02:45
looking good ,you are moving in the right direction with this i think.

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Victor Kruger/The Kurgan
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 02:57 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 02:57
wow, its surprising how very different FPSC looks when you just fiddle with the characters animations, and this looks a lot more realistic (especially for how the character looks and the type of gun)

good work!

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
http://www.redcore3d.com
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 05:07 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 05:23
Dude.
Looks beautiful.

Did you create the textures by hand, or is there a "Black and White" filter of some sort for photoshop? (Plugin...?)

Going to google right now...I'll edit this post if I find one.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm back, and I found a filter that works just fine, and produces the same effect that you came up with, with a few clicks of the mouse.

It's called Technix

It's a plugin for Photoshop CS2 v9 + .
It might work in PSP 8+, Idk.

Thanks,
AaronG

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 10:11
looks good butters. nothing much I could advise you on.

Quote: "I'm going to create around 5 new bipeds for Contrast, each suited to a weapon, or character type not yet covered by the FPSC biped.."

for the 'cool-dude-gangster' feel, you could make the character hold and shoot guns horizonataly (yes, I know they already are horizontal...but if you know what I am talking about...rotating the guns 90 degrees on the z axis)

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 11:27 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 11:28
sweet!! just edit the strafe and walk to get it look more natural as i always think of gangsters holding weapons 1 handed with their torso at a slight angle so their arm is further forward, its also alot more comfortable

best of the rest!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 16:01 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 16:03
Quote: "Email me if you could use a VWEAP mesh or two for testing."

Errant, that'd be dope! I have a samurai mesh that would be wicked with the melee anim and your sword... I'll email ya soon bro.

Quote: "wow, its surprising how very different FPSC looks when you just fiddle with the characters animations, and this looks a lot more realistic (especially for how the character looks and the type of gun)"

Thanks jon. Thats your civilian mesh I'm using. It's the most versatile character mesh I've come across. I really got fed up of all my characters lookin the same when they move/fight. it looks alot coller to walk into a room now, and see them all hold the same gun differently. With your (and TGC's) permission, I would love to release a MP4 update with these new Bipeds.

Quote: "Did you create the textures by hand, or is there a "Black and White" filter of some sort for photoshop? (Plugin...?)"

It's a combination of using the contrast curves and hand painting. THe faces are taken from images of my friends/people in the street, and heavily edited.
Quote: "
for the 'cool-dude-gangster' feel, you could make the character hold and shoot guns horizonataly (yes, I know they already are horizontal...but if you know what I am talking about...rotating the guns 90 degrees on the z axis)"

thanks man, I tried that initially, but it makes quite a big jump in animation when he reloads. That and the fact that you can only see the gun is horizontal when he's RIGHT up in your face. I might throw that in there if I have time.

Quote: "just edit the strafe and walk to get it look more natural as i always think of gangsters holding weapons 1 handed with their torso at a slight angle so their arm is further forward, its also alot more comfortable"

Your totally right man. As much as I'm bigging this up, it's only a test. I realise that most people who know anything about shooting realise that you should shoot one shoulder forwards so as to present a smaller target to an enemy, but this is kinda a first run, and I'm sure to make loads of tweaks and changes as I go.

Thanks so much for the support people, I will continue to update, so please check back and show your support. Basically, the final release will have a couple of pre rigged characters FPSC ready, and the bipeds in MS3D, 3DS and Fragmo format.

Love and Frags

Butters

++Edit++
Errant I'm blatantly no going to steal your stuff, but I already have a crappy katana, so I'd only need the Vweap, and if you're comfortable, the PSD (as that way I can add a similar motion blur to the enemy attack, using.......actually I don't think I'll give that away.)

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 22:30
Quote: "With your (and TGC's) permission, I would love to release a MP4 update with these new Bipeds.
"

bond1 made model pack 4, sure your not thinking of one of his civilian models? (i don't think Ive made many characters with the low poly 'finger welding')

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 22:49
oh snap!

Sorry man. I always confuse that civilian mesh that you had up. I'd transfered it out of the MP4 folder, and I guess over time I'd just started to think of it as one of yours.. maybe "talk to frank" could be onto something with that short term memory loss thing*

Dang tho, didn't you make a hoody character? I'd love to rig that to this new biped!

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 23:01
yeah, he had a hat and red hoody, cant say im really proud of it now though

got it here right now, tell me if you want it and I'll email an OBJ your way.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 23:25 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 23:27
yeah do it. I can see from a recent look at your site that it probably comes no where near the Taurus or Rauhn, but what the hey, it's gonna run in FPSC 9x. it doesn't need to look amazing! If you could zip over the obj and texture that'd rock!

If I use it could I drop you some cash for it? Or are you intending to release it elsewhere?

Cheers Jon.

Butters

++ Edit ++

Forgot the most important question!
can you please export the OBJ in the pose that is frame1 of the biped animations. If you can't, no worries, but it'd just save me deforming it to fit it to the mesh in MS...

Godrich13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 08:20
...glorious...that is all I can say...glorious...

Working on a secret project. SHHH! >.>
smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 12:09
Butters, the bullets don't seem to be affecting you. Lol.

Quote: "nice video description and tags "

Yeah. Lol.

Quote: "people in the street"

That would be real funny.
"Dude, is it ok if I take a photo of your face? Thanks bro."

It looks sweet as man. Very gansta-ish.

big..hahaha..you said big!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:24
Quote: "Butters, the bullets don't seem to be affecting you. Lol."

I turned the gun damage to 0 for testing purposes! Well spotted!

smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:28
Lol, dude, I only noticed cause whenever I made a shooting script, they would shoot at me, bullet holes would appear, but no damage. Annoying. lol.

big..hahaha..you said big!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:26:04